SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cowhorncreek

@ Raven ? about your Asus tablet

Raven, would you mind explaining what your following statements refer to, please: "I have flash 11x running on it just fine. Can play flash games and videos easily." I just don't want to buy a tablet that I cannot play games on if I want to and/or watch movies and anything else I want to do. With PCs, I am pretty knowledgeable, but know nothing about tablets. TIA

This is also cross posted in the message about Kindle vs Tablet, but I was concerned that you would not see it. I am asking this question because one I am considering purchasing from an individual who says flash can't be used and he needs flash.

Hope this isn't too confusing.

Comments (50)

• genes
    11 years ago

What were you planning on buying..

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

Adobe has discontinued making flash for Android so the latest versions of Android do not have flash. And some browsers also no longer will support flash. However there's a way to install an older version of flash in Android and use it with certain browsers. I am using firefox for Android which still allows the use of flash, an older version of dolphin browser can use flash but the latest version has no option to enable flash, and of course the update process will continue to try to install the latest version of dolphin so that is not much help.
    There's a pay browser called Puffin that runs flash in the browser and you don't even have to install flash on the tablet it's a great browser and it has a free trial period to give it a try.
    If the guy who is wanting to get rid of it is only concerned about flash that's not a big deal you can certainly get around it and installing puffin is the easiest way.
    Now some tablets that are very proprietary like the Amazon tablets are not as easy to deal with because you can not just add certain other browsers or flash.
    The Asus transformer line you can do that easily. I had flash installed and running on mine the day I got it. Flash will work with the native browser if you do the install of the older flash. Chrome will not at all.
    I prefer using firefox because I can use many of the great addons I use on my desktop like adblock plus and I can use flash.
    I can watch any YouTube video, movies, streaming video, games, etc, haven't found anything yet I can't do.

So any tablet with Jellybean android on it will have the flash problem because of Adobe no longer supporting Android, it's not a tablet brand issue, it's not an android issue, it's Adobe being Adobe.
    Which is why most sites are getting rid of flash and moving on to newer technology. But there's some that are slow to change. If you have something that still uses flash contact them and request they update their products, if they realize that their customers can't or won't be using them they may step up.

• Related Discussions

Raven- need asus 7f 300 help please

Q

Comments (41)
    Here is a good place to start searching? When I put the Card I bought for the Tablet into my computer directly, a notice popped up about formatting it but I didn't for fear I would screw it up to not work in the Tablet again cause that card was warned against formatting it as stated here where I ordered it from. Reformat into file system other than exFAT may cause instability Only compatible with SDXC enabled device in exFAT format per SD Standard Highest Full HD video recording performance available with class 10 rating Ideal for Android, other smartphones and tablets UHS-1 enabled Faster app performance with transfer speeds up to 30MB/s Ships in Certified Frustration-Free Packaging Water-proof, temperature proof, X-ray proof, shock proof Here is a link that might be useful: cards
    ...See More

What to check upon getting refurbished tablet

Q

Comments (5)
    There's no good reason for you to "recognize" the names of either Sylvania or Polaroid on a tablet. These names don't belong on tablets any more than if you saw one labeled "Kleenex". I believe any consumer electronics so labeled does so under license, The products are produced by an unidentified company and the "brand name" is put on the product. It's very misleading, just don't think you bought better quality because the reputation you're thinking of belongs to a different company. Sylvania makes light bulbs and Polaroid made cameras before it went bankrupt. A new buyer is using the name. Edit - Ooops, PS to OP I have a few Acer products and have had very good experience with them, they seem to make good stuff. I'd have high expectations for their tablet. This post was edited by snidely on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 17:25
    ...See More

Can't decide between Kindle Fire HD & Asus TF300

Q

Comments (37)
    For those looking for a "router" for sharing data over cell services, there are additional alternatives to using a USB dongle with a portable router: - A "mobile hotspot", a combined cellular "modem" and router in one small package. Offered by the major carriers. Cost- wise, it's like having another phone, you pay to buy the device and have a (usually 2 year)contract with monthly access and data usage charges. - Most smart phones can operate as a mobile hotspot. Also called "tethering". The advantage with this is that there's nothing additional to buy and (at least with some carriers) no contract is necessary. You can turn it off and on as you wish, and apply usage to the phone plan you already have. The disadvantage is if you're not plugged in, the steady stream of cell data and wifi usage will eat through your battery life. I don't know if a tethered connection can be encrypted. It's convenient for occasional use, with my carrier, it's $ 20 per month prorated for the days it's turned on, so it's like 70 cents per day.
    ...See More

Raven, a friend of mine needs tablet advise�

Q

Comments (16)
    Back a few months ago, Raven recommended me an affordable 10.1" tablet. Initially, I purchased one to read books. Now, I love that thing. I found out more ways to use it for. My Dragon Touch tablet only has 16GB of storage but I had purchased a couple 256GB USB flash drives. Now, I have plenty of storage. Yes, I can also use memory cards on my tablet but currently, flash drives are faster and come with higher storage capacity. Not to mention, they're easier to transfer files from one pc to another. I've converted many of my DVDs (movies & documentaries) to MP4 so I could play them on my tablet. It's great when I can hook it up to a TV screen (via HDMI) and watch these videos at my mom's place. Everyone get to watch them and I don't need to carry so many DVDs. May I please add about the tablet's camera feature? It can also be used for live view conversation through Skype as well. As far as games, oh my, so many free ones to play with. I had to limit myself. Otherwise, nothing else would be done. Btw Raven, remember how I told you that the volume is low? Well, I found a case with speakers on eBay. It works great now. In case anyone is interested, below is the link to the hard case. It comes in a few different colors. Here is a link that might be useful: PU Leather Case With Speakers
    ...See More
  • WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have a wireless network that I am hoping this will work on. It won't cost me extra will it?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

no just have to input your Wi-Fi password into the tablet and have it search, it will find it right away and connect with the password. Mine doesn't have cellular connection option which is fine with me. I have a smart phone for that if I need it.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for your info, Raven. I just ordered a tablet with dock from Woot. Not as good a deal as you got, but I am happy with the deal. Will be anxiously awaiting the arrival. When it get here, I might have some more questions for your if you don't mind

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

which one did you get? I have been very happy with mine which was also from woot, I have had good luck with everything I have bought there.
    Feel free to ask everyday is a learning experience.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

here is the manual should you be interested in some reading while waiting.

Here is a link that might be useful: manual

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

And so you will be ready to install flash here is the link to the Flash archives page just scroll way on down the page till you see the Flash player for Android 4.0 you want the top one which is 11.1.115.36 click the download icon in front of that using your tablet of course and download it to the tablet, then it will ask if you want to install say yes it installs that is that. You now have flash on the tablet.
    You will need to check the android version that is on the tablet if it is not updated to the latest version 4.1 you will want to have it do that right away but make sure it is fully charged or have it plugged in while doing it so you don't risk an interrupted download.
    To find your version click on the settings icon, About at the bottom of the list there it will give the android version if you are at 4.0 you will need to update if you are at 4.1 you are good. To update just simply go to the update area in settings and have it check for updates while connected to wifi. It should get it and install.

This flash install will work for pretty much anyone that has an android tablet running 4.1 that has no flash, just follow those instructions. Using firefox browser you can use flash, using chrome you can not, using the latest dolphin browser you can not it has flash blocked, earlier versions of dolphin allow it but you must do a work around to get it to not automatically update to the latest version.

For lots of info this is an excellent guide and forum
    The Master Help Guide

nice article
    Asus' Transformer Pad 300 tablet

Here is a link that might be useful: flash archives

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

Asus transformer Tf300t tablet and dock is on sale now at woot $330 for the 32GB version.

Here is a link that might be useful: woot

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, Raven. Thank you so very, very much for all of the info. I am so excited and can hardly wait to get the tablet. (By the way, how many days from the day you ordered till the date you received - just curious.)

Here is the info from the Woot site on the tablet I ordered: Asus TF300 T-B1-BL Transformer Pad 10.1" Tablet with Asus RT300T-DOCK-BL Mobile Keyboard Dock, Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, NVIDIA Tegra 3 Quad-Core 1.2GHz, 1GB DDR3, 32GB SSD, GPS-enabled, 1280x800, 802.11n, 8MP Webcam.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tablet

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

oh that's the same one I had just put the link to here. That is what I have also.
    Well we can't go by my shipping date because I got one right at Thanksgiving/Christmas and there was a big shipping delay but it was still under 10 days, but people were getting impatient. That is not the norm for woot at all and they were very apologetic, they had a 3rd party shipping so they had no control.

You should get an email update for shipping info and they put it in your info on your woot account.

Just be sure you check everything when you get it since they are refurbs you need to take care of anything right away. Make sure all ports work, dock works and charges, tablet charges, no dead pixels no bad touch sposts, there is actually a program on the tablet that has a good way to check the touch screen for dead areas. And there are apps in the store to check for dead pixels.
    I think the only thing I never checked on mine was the hdmi port have not had any opportunity to do that. But I do now have the cable so I can try it.

It is a great tablet I am sure you will be happy with it.
    Have you had android experience on anything else?

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My cell phone is android, but the screen is so small, I really don't use it for anything but a phone. In fact, that is one reason I was considering an android tablet with a larger screen - then my plan right now is to just go back to a phone that is just a phone (or as close as I can come to that).

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Got a notice that my tablet has shipped. Now I will be anxiously awaiting the USP or FedEx - don't know what shipper Woot uses. I guess I can figure out which carriet by pulling each of and putting in the tracking number.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

oh I know you are excited! I am pretty sure it's UPS they used on mine. Do you know which color it is? Mine is the dark blue.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

Be sure and check everything right away on your tablet, especially the touch screen for dead pixels and also for any dead touch spots. On your tablet will be an app called super note open that app then click on the number 2 option that lets you draw lines across your screen do that up and down and every which way to make sure you have no dead areas, if you do as you run your finger along making a line there will be a section missing in your line. There are several apps you can get free at the app store for checking for dead pixels.
    I am following the discussions at woot on the asus sale, some that have received their tablets are finding a few problems, since they are refurbs that can happen from time to time but you have a 90 day period with woot and also asus for support which is why it is really important to check out everything asap.
    I thankfully have not had any problems at all with mine, I have had very good luck with refurbs.
    If you do have problems the woot staff monitors and replies in the discussion area so you can post there for help also.
    Hopefully yours will be perfect too.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Woohoo! Got my tablet and have been playing, Raven. I did check the pixels by using SuperNote as you suggested; no problems. Shoulod I go ahead and download one of the pixel aps just to make sure? Still have to buy some SD cards to make sure those work, too - will try to do that tomorrow.

One thing that has disappointed me is that the ap my library uses for checing out books electronicalolly is not available in an androis version. I checked before I ordered the tablet and could swear I saw a version for android. But when I went to download it yesterday, all I could find was Windows and Mac versions.

So far, I believe everything is working okay and I am liking what I am seeing.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

most libraries use overdrive and there's an Android version. If something else give me the name.

if you don't see any dead pixels and think it's ok then ok. the super note was checking for dead touchpad spots. Those are different.
    Check the dock too for charging, and the ports etc.
    Is it blue?:-)

• grandms
    11 years ago

I just checked into our county library for borrowing e-books, and they use Overdrive, so I can borrow books using that on my Nexus 7. Happy I checked into this.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

here's the overdrive app

Here is a link that might be useful: overdrive

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you' Raven. I just downloaded it. I love being able to check out books from the library.

- won't let me delete Bob to change to books. Hope that doesn't mean there is a problem with this tablet. Probably just my learning curve.

This post was edited by walnutcreek on Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 17:44

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

Bob?

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, heck! I gave up on Bob and changed to books.

• Elmer J Fudd
    11 years ago

I gave up on Bob too.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

what's Bob?
    you can add various ereader apps, I think it came with Kindle, I like aldiko app,there's an app already on the tablet too.
    Lots of places for good free Books. My fave is pixelofink.com.

• urlee
    11 years ago

Hi Raven, and or WC,
    Hope it is OK to intercept and use this thread to reach you?
    I was wondering when you got your new tablet, if you updated from ICS to JB with no trouble? Did you just let it update or did you go through all the steps stated in the Master Help Guide?
    I did get a tablet and want a simple way of updating it without too many complicating steps in doing so. (simple)
    Or----to play it safe, keep ICS til I am brave enough?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

oh no it was super easy it just really did it all on it's own, when it came on and connected to the internet it said it found some updates I really did not pay attention to what all it was updating it included some of the apps that were loaded on it but apparently the JB update was in it too because next time I looked in settings it was already on JB.
    In fact most of the ones people have been getting now already have JB on it especially if it is a refurb.
    Just go into the settings about the tablet and updates and it will tell you which version number you have for Android. Be sure if you are going to update that you are fully charged so there is no chance of losing power in the middle. I usually play it safe and plug in to my charger when doing that sort of update but this time I was not.
    It is not complicated at all no worries.
    Feel free to call on me if you have any questions and problems I may not know the answer but will sure try to help you find out.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am truly enjoying my tablet every single day. Haven't tried taking pictures yet, guess I should do that soon.

I did download my very favorite list maker, SplashShopper, which I have used for years. Have the desktop version, too. When I downloaded my lists to the tablet, for some reason two of the lists will not open and SplashShopper closes with a message that SplashShopper has stopped working. All of the other lists open without any problem.

I contacted SplashShopper and so far their suggestions have not helped. I tried one of them today, and then tried to synchronize with the desktop, but go a message that
    said ASUS Sync was not installed on my computer, but when I tried to find ASUS Synce on the ASUS website it kept giving me a link to Microsoft for a Windows phone.

My next step is to Google ASUS Sync and see if anything is out there.

• grandms
    11 years ago

Turned on my Nexus 7 today and found an update to JB. Now it's on 4.2.2.

When I first got it, it updated to 4.2.1.

Just let it do its thing, and be patient because the installing of the update may take a few minutes.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

I found an app I am enjoying called springpad, you can sync it with it on the PC version. I use it to save websites, recipes, pictures etc, I created folders to store stuff in. So take a look at that.

• urlee
    11 years ago

I want to THANK you SOOOOO much for your replies back for me.
    I have been going berzerk reading on how and what to do to update what needs updating and blown out of the water with them saying stuff like cold boot, reset 3x, and wipe etc. etc., I have been putting it off.
    I have to go to the Library (WiFi) because I do not have WiFi in my house so I can't afford to not know what to do when I go online. I did make a Google account especially for the tablet so that is ready. I ordered a 64GB SD card and folio for it which will be here Monday if not Saturday.
    I will go with a fully charged battery. How long will the updates take? Gee, just like going to the doctor? (smiles)

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, darn it. Now my TF300T has quit connecting wirelessly. Don't have any idea what happened.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

Urlee from what I read it says 10minutes, but would depend on the Wi-Fi speed, I don't think it was that long, but at any rate just minutes.
    Did you get the Asus Tf300 ? Under settings, about tablet, Android version what's the number?

You do know it takes up to a 32GB SD card, a micro sized card in the tablet and a regular size card in the dock. I rarely use my dock but I leave the micro card in the tablet all the time.

• urlee
    11 years ago

Raven,
    I have the Tf700t. Android version 4.0.3

I didn't get the dock because I just wanted the tablet.
    Oh oh, I read people are getting the Ultra 64GB Micro Memory card and it worked fine. Maybe they have the 64GB tablet and it doesn't work on the 32GB's?

Quote:For Christmas, my wife bought me a Sandisk Ultra 64 GB micro SDXC card.
    I have tested it in both SD slots and the USB port (via USB card reader) and it works in all three. Apparently there are some SDXC cards that aren't working properly with the Infinity, so I thought I should post a link to one that does. DO NOT reformat this card. It works perfectly right out of the box with the standard exFAT format it comes with.

Well, we will see when I get it. Keep fingers crossed that it will?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

I would think it will work but you likely will only be able to utilize 32GB
    I don't know if any take more than a 32GB card currently. What class is the card? Every card I have bought worked fine.

• urlee
    11 years ago

What class is the card?
    Class 10 UHS-1

• urlee
    11 years ago

Well, darn it. Now my TF300T has quit connecting wirelessly. Don't have any idea what happened.

WC, Did you check in the Settings to see if WiFi is on?
    I came across in my readings where I think it can turn off automatically for some reason. I do remember reading that if you are not online and turn it off, it saves on battery power. I haven't tried that to see.

• urlee
    11 years ago

Where does one go to register the asus tablet?
    I went to asus.com and was brought to a place to login?????

YAY! My SDXC card and Folio Case came today!

I shoved the card in the tablet (hard to line up) and went to File Manager, My Storage and it showed up there. It also shows on the bottom right corner of the tablet home screen.
    How on earth do you get something to go on it? I have something in notes I made that I was trying to figure how to get it to the card?
    The folio was only $8.99 and just what I was looking for. I spent at least 2 days searching for something and then received that one in my e-mail from Amazon to look at and bingo, that worked out FINE!

This post was edited by urlee on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 14:38

• urlee
    11 years ago

Did you all abandon me?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

sorry had not seen your posts.
    to put something on the sd card you can do it from another computer if it is on the other computer, just put the card in a card reader and either drag and drop the items onto the sd card drive showing up or right click and choose send and then choose the sd card drive.

If it is in the tablet and you want to put something on it you can use an app move to sd or you can try using the file manager. I like Astro file manager.

I put all my ebooks on my sd card, I keep them on my pc so I just put my card in the card reader and copy them from the pc to the sd card then put the sd card in the tablet and use the appropriated ebook reader (I like aldiko and kindle apps) each has it's own method of accessing the books fro the sd card.

the class 10 is a good fast card did it show up as the full 64GB?

To who ever had the wifi problem has your wifi problem straightened up? It will on occasion drop but I just go to settings turn it off then back on and let it refind and connect.

Did you not get any registration material with the tablet? Did you buy brand new or refurb?

link to register your asus, you can use your gmail email account info if you have one which you should since you have this tablet it is pretty much an essential to have a google account. or if you prefer you can create your own new asus account and create a user name and password but be sure you keep it where you can find it. Once you do that you will be able to register it.
    Register Your Product Get notified of software updates and faster technical support.

on the right side it says register your product

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am the one with the wifi problem. I did everything I could think of, but for some reason it refused to connect - even though in setting it would say the strength was good I had no internet connection. When I queried ASUS, I was advised that they would contact me in 48 hours - I did not want to wait that long.

Finally, had to resort to a factory reset. That worked.

Now for the task of getting my aps reinstalled.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Forgot to add that I now have no Jellybean update. Went to the ASUS website for support and all of the updates they had listed were for specific build numbers and my build number was not among them. Guess I need to contact ASUS about that.

• urlee
    11 years ago

I just ordered this----
    I hope it works,
    {{gwi:1443597}}

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

Urlee didn't your computer come with built in SD card readers? Most newer ones do.

But yes that should work to use your SD card with your PC if that's what you want to accomplish.

• spunbondwarrior
    11 years ago

Might be useful for Android users.....
    from Google
    >>> "Photon Flash Browser for Android is the leading #1 browser for Flash player plugin support and video streaming that liberate your browsing experience on Android. Our leading edge technology allows the user to browse the web fast, runs Javascript at speeds faster than Chrome or Firefox on your device (during cloud streaming mode).
    Users can play Flash without installing or downloading any Flash plugin (which is currently also not available and possible after Adobe pulled Flash support for Android officially). Photon Flash Player and Web Browser Free supports Flash games, Flash videos and Flash websites. You can browse natively on the browser and when you need Flash support, you just need to click the lightning bolt button to activate Flash support for your Android tablets or phones. You can use Photon Flash Player for free with ads or purchase a premium pass to remove ads." HAGD

Here is a link that might be useful: Flash for/on Android

• urlee
    11 years ago

Urlee didn't your computer come with built in SD card readers? Most newer ones do.
    But yes that should work to use your SD card with your PC if that's what you want to accomplish.
    Yes, I bought it to insert the tiny card into for my PC to see what is on it plus from PC to tablet if needed.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

didn't you get a regular size SD card to slide the movie card into so you can use it in the card reader? All of mine have come with the adapter card.

spunbond thanks, another that has flash built in is Puffin browser.

• urlee
    11 years ago

didn't you get a regular size SD card to slide the movie card into so you can use it in the card reader?

Do you mean did I get an adapter for the "Mini" card to slip into so it will go into the memory reader on my computer?
    Yes but I think it didn't fit in the slot of my computer and thinking the USB is easier to use, I opt for it as long as I had to order ink.

• jellybean45
    11 years ago

Raven, I hope you don't mind if I jump in for some help. I received my asus 7f300 on Thursday and I can't get online with it. I have it connected to my wifi it says I have a good signal. When I try do go on line it can not connect. I don't know what to try I hope you can help me I'm to the point of trying to return it but I hope I don't have to I know I will love it if I can get it to work. thanks jellybean

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had to reset my router to correct this very same problem.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

Asus is sending out Android 4.2.2 updates in March!

Here is a link that might be useful: update info