SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ross939

Recomendations for a new laptop:

ross939
17 years ago

Hello Everyone: I have a three year old Averatec that has been on the fritz, of late. Tested the cords and other electical components with a tester, as well as replaced the battery, but no luck (Sometimes it powers up, sometines it will not.) I don't want to spend any money on it, so I am looking to replace it. Perhaps I will take the Averatec apart in the garage and inspect all the curcuits and wire connections with with a magnifying glass and see if I can find a short or breakage somewhere that might be soldered. In the mean time, I put this together on the Dell Homepage. It comes in at about $1100. Does this sound like a good deal? The laptop will be used as a second computer in the study, as a study tool to run some educational software, light word proccessing, some downloading and and burning of songs to cd's, perhaps play some dvd's, etc. Please let me know what you think. Are there items that I could probably do without and are there items I will need with the upcomming Vista upgrade? Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

--John Ross

===========================================================

My Components

PROCESSOR Intel Core Duo T2050 (1.60GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB

OPERATING SYSTEM & TV-TUNERS Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005

UPGRADE TO WINDOWS VISTA Express Upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium from XP Media Center Edition

LCD PANEL 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display with TrueLifeÂ

MEMORY 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ, 2 DIMM

HARD DRIVE 80GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive

OPTICAL DRIVE 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability

VIDEO CARD 256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON® X1400 HyperMemoryÂ

SOUND OPTIONS Integrated Audio

My Accessories

BATTERY OPTIONS 53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

WIRELESS CARDS Dell Wireless 1390b/g (54Mbps) edit

Comments (41)