Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Java

Posted by brownthumbia (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 15:29

I heard something about Java, but wasn't sure what was going on. Is it safe to install or better to leave it alone? Lots of things require Java so was just wondering what is going on with it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Java

If you haven't already done so, you should uninstall any old versions of Java that you have and then install the most recent version (7_11). When you have this installed, you will get a warning every time you do something that requires Java to run and you will have to give permission for it to do so. If you get the warning when you don't expect it, it might be wise to refuse Java permission. The latest version has not had all it's problems solved yet.

o

There's multiple threads on this the homepage, and page two regarding Java and its recent concerns. To be fully informed you should take the time to review them.

DA

o

security professionals and home land security are still recommending the removal/fully disable of java since there's still vulnerabilities with it, if you must use it do so very carefully and on a site by site basis. Only have the latest java version on your PC. Firefox has disabled java plugin in their browser. I personally have removed it from my computers that had it, the newest never had it installed.
These recommendations are not from me personally they are from home land security and the security professionals.
I add this disclaimer because unfortunately it has become necessary to do so here.
http://www.slashgear.com/homeland-security-still-warns-against-java-use-despite-fix-14265254/

For details there's an abundance of information online.
Be aware that there's also now malware that masquerades as a java patch. Be absolutely certain to only get the patches and updates directly from Adobe. oops sorry meant oracle java site.
http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Here is a link that might be useful: malware as java patch

This post was edited by ravencajun on Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 20:13

o
RE: Java 2

"Be absolutely certain to only get the patches and updates directly from Adobe. "

Raven...did you mean Oracle?

o

sorry yes, see that's what happens when you are helping someone with flash on one site and java on another lol

there's a java tester here
http://javatester.org/version.html
thanks for noticing it.

Here is a link that might be useful: updates

o

I removed java from my system several weeks ago and have had no problems at all in doing the things i want to do.
It was nice to know you java.

o

When removing/uninstalling Java updates/folders etc...just make sure if you run across JavaScript..LEAVE THAT ONE ALONE

o

I removed Java a long time ago because someone in here recommended it. Didn't miss it at all. When this scare came up I looked to be sure it was gone and I saw jscript, removed it when my gut told me not to with out checking to be sure. It disabled two of my Iwin games, but that is a simple fix. They are retail games will just reinstall them when I want to play them.

o

Corrine's blog references an article confirming concerns that Java still isn't fixed.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9236255/New_bug_makes_moot_Java_s_latest_anti_exploit_defenses_claims_researcher

o

Computerworld is a well respected IT information source. The linked article concerning Java is timely.

In addition to talking about the continuing Java problems, Mr Gowdiak (spokesman for the group that found the security hole) also suggests that an existing feature common to both Chrome and Firefox prevents unauthorized Java execution.

"That may help prevent automatic and silent exploitation of known and not-yet-addressed Java plug-in vulnerabilities," Gowdiak said, repeating an earlier suggestion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here