SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bus_driver

dsl

bus_driver
11 years ago

I live in a rather sparsely settled rural area. No Time Warner available at my address ( and I would not do business with them anyway) About 2002, our telephone coop announced that they have a slow DSL available for members. That is what I have now. Said to be 512 Kbps to 1.5 Mbps. Mine is usually at the low end of that speed range. Today I learn that faster is now available without changing the wiring in my home. I have Cat6E cable for my phones.
Pricing: 512 Kbps to 1.5 Mpbs is $15.70 per month. 1.5 to 3 Mbps is $26.45 per month. 3 to 5 Mbps is $36.95. 5 to 10 Mbps is $42.20. The fastest I think I would need is to stream movies. Most video of any sort now frequently stops to do additional buffering so that the download requires about 3 times the actual run time. Would the 1.5 to 3 be adequate? I do not want to waste one penny on unnecessary speed. What do you suggest?
The phone coop has fiber-to-the-home in about half their territory and is in the process of bringing that to all their service areas. But it may be 2017 for my area. And they tell me that pricing is the same for internet service but that additional speed selections are available (for higher prices) with the fiber. Our state charges tax on all the phone charges, too.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler