Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can't access browser

Posted by mooner (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 14:31

trying to help a friend with his computer. when the computer is turned on it says that he is on the internet, but when we click into Chrome or Internet Explorer it says "web page cannot be connected" can anyone help us with this problem. we have tried a few things, but so far nothing worked. re: restoration. checking settings, etc.
thanks for any help you can send.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can't access browser

What windows version ? Win 7, Vista, XP.

Is this a wireless connection ? How do you connect usually ? Can other computers connect ?

Have you turned the router and modem off, and then back on again. Then try to connect to Google.com using Internet Explorer.

As we troubleshoot your issue keep using Internet Explorer and keep trying to connect to Google.com, link below.

Do you know how to boot to safe mode with networking, that's the next thing to try if the router modem does not work.

Here is a link that might be useful: google.

This post was edited by zep516 on Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 14:56

o

windows 7 and is a wireless connection. we are in an RV park and I can get on the net, and have his computer at my place and he is on the internet wifi ok just can't get a browser to open up. I have deleted some malware that he had put on and according to the internet is a bad one.

o

A firewall setting may be blocking the connection, or it could be something else. To check, turn off the firewall.

o

Malware breaks internet connections all the time. What was the name of the Malware ?

snidely is right about the firewall, that's why we try to boot to safe mode with networking it by passes the firewall or firewalls, and the Anti Virus program all in one shot.

Restart the computer, keep tapping the F8 Key, wait for the windows advanced boot options menu to show, black screen with white letters, form the list select Safe Mode with networking using the arrow keys, hit enter, let the computer boot into safe mode with networking. Now try connecting to www.google.com.

Let us know if it connects there, don't surf in that mode.

Tell us the name of the Malware, that the internet said was a bad one.

o

I would suspect the computer is not clean, what program was used to clean it up? The bad guys are likely refusing access.

If you are not certain the computer is clean try this. Assuming/hoping you have a thumb/flash drive between you go here to download the free Malwarebytes and while there also use the second link to save the latest definitions. copy both to the thumb/flash drive. Go to the other computer, install Malwarebytes and then double click on the definitions file to install it into Malwarebytes. Run a FULL scan.

o

the malware that was bad is called Scorpion malware

o

Yes. It's actually called Scorpion Saver.

Have you tried any of the advice that has been given..

See if you can uninstall it, then connect to the internet.

To uninstall the Scorpion Saver program from your computer, click the Start button, then select Control Panel, and click on Uninstall a program.

Then check Internet explorer for a proxy, that sometimes gets set,

In Internet Explorer: Tools Menu -> Internet Options -> Connections Tab ->Lan Settings > uncheck "use a proxy server" and check to "Automatically detect settings".

o

I think this computer has beat me. I have tried everything that has been suggested and I appreciate all your help. thanks

o

You might also try resetting Internet Explorer to default settings.
Click Tools Menu -> Internet Options ->Advanced. Click Reset and choose to discard personal settings (your favorites will not be discarded).
Close and reopen Internet Explorer and try navigating to a website like www.google.com.

o

Check the proxy setting of your browser.. may be some malware changed it. Change them back to no proxy and get your computer scanned by a good antivirus

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here