SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

Vista Start Up Problems: Help Please?

Rudebekia
11 years ago

Over the last two days my old-ish computer (HP Pavillon running Vista) has developed start up problems. Sometimes it starts up normally--just fine. About every second time, however, I get a black screen with a flashing cursor in the upper left corner, and there is typically no way to move from that screen without turning the computer off and trying again. Once I got the error message "I/0 Fail. Press any key to continue." But pressing a key did not work. Once I got the error message "Cannot locate hard drive." Othertimes this black screen stays on for up to 3-4 minutes, and then it suddenly boots up normally.

Unfortunately I don't have Vista recovery DVD or CD: my system came preloaded with Vista. I did make system recovery disks as soon as I got the computer. I have backed up my data, but would really like to keep it if this is some quick fix.

I've tried system restore and back up from the start button. Sadly, when I got there the system restore point I know I made perhaps 8 months ago does not appear. I did restore the computer back to three days ago, but it didn't help.

A couple days ago I was screwing around (fatal, I know) trying to get the obnoxious BrothersSoft tool bars to leave. I seem to have done so successfully by changing the default search engine in Firefox and IE. But since I've done the system recovery it is back.

Again--every so often the computer starts up just fine; then it won't leave the black screen with flashing cursor. Any idea what I can do? Thanks in advance: of course, this is a terrible time, given higher SS taxes, to need a new computer!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area