Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New HP computer, win8 query

Posted by granniek (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 13:27

A friend told me to not bother learning Win8 until I download 8.1. He didn't explain how to do it or why......any input for this technology challenged gal???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New HP computer, win8 query

Why not get on and enjoy the computer Grannie, your friend only gave you an opinion not necessarily a fact. Every new operating system brings complaints. Many are justified perhaps but other problems are simply the user unwilling to find out how to do things slightly differently.

I had Windows 8 a few weeks before I decided to tackle the beast, there really was no beast after all. Just bad comments from those who may not want to understand.

As regards 8.1 I have not bothered so far as I am quite happy. DA and a few others here have used the free upgrade and DA has stated he likes the upgrade, perhaps they'll add comments.

When you get confused move your mouse to the bottom left corner and click or better still tap the Microsoft key between the Ctrl and Alt buttons on the left side.

o

Yes start learning on W8 and do upgrade to W8.1. Make your recovery disks before upgrading.

For the differences there are there is not enough to delay use and learning. The biggest additions with W8.1 is access and navigating. v8/8.1 is different and at times frustrating, but once you become familiar with the Start Page and the Desktop along with a few changes in terminology everything will be fine.

Assuming you are all connected to the Internet and ready to go:

To upgrade to W8.1 go to the Start Page and click on the green Store tile. The portal for the upgrade should be there. Be sure to follow the on screen instructions. Be patient as the download is lengthy. Once again, follow the on screen instructions.

Don't listen to all the doom and gloom about W8/8.1. After giving it reasonable time form your own opinion. No matter what there is always naysayers, and users who are just resistant to change. If we never changed we would all be back somewhere in the era of W3.0.

Remember unless you take a hammer to it, you and your system will be fine.

DA

This post was edited by damccoy on Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 7:28

o

One of the Win8 updates triggers the Win8.1 update. Win8.1 update will then appear as the main item in your store and probably a blue bar across the screen.

o

There are consequences with 8.1 many mfg techs are saying stay with W8. I have 9 PC's all diff OS's and I fix puter problems for many seniors. I am staying with W8, no need for 8.1.

o

There is no big mob marching on the castle burning W8.1 in effigy. As in everything else there are users who don't like the release.

I have one system and drink beer when I want one.

W8.1 is just something a user has to learn, and get use to. No drama as it's fine.

DA

This post was edited by damccoy on Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 15:16

o

Well, I spoke to a few HP techs and they all said do not go with the 8.1 upgrade, there are problems with it, exactly as I thought so I will stick with W8 no need for 8.1 and if you want the windows start button etc. they put out a download just for that, so W8 is more like W7. goes right past the tiles to desktop w/start. The Start and desktop vs. metro is the main reason for 8.1.

o

Among others, today I spoke with a priest, a judge, my investment consultant, and several people at the local watering hole today.

DA

This post was edited by damccoy on Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 21:22

o

All the techs I speak to work in the business, two of them are HP techs. it's not water cooler chat. "Smart ass"

o

Not me. In no way. Your input is welcomed. Just poking fun at reoccurring references to credentials and contacts.

DA

This post was edited by damccoy on Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 13:05

o

I'm with you on this one, DA, I thought your comments were funny. I'm looking for a router with long range capabilities. The next time you see the priest, please ask which router they prefer for their heavenly communications.

Anyone who doesn't know how to spell PC needs to find new information sources.

o

Thanks, guys, for a good laugh!

o

Indeed, this Grannie is laughing too!

Grandson was here over the weekend. The update was triggered and is now a done deal. Grandson reminded me to make sure Defender was enabled, then download anti malware. I didn't want to let him to go home!!! So tomorrow it's on to the downloads.

Regarding defender: do I uninstall Norton before Defender will work?

I'm glad I have the iPad to continue using while I learn the new system.

o

Yes!

o

When I uninstalled McAfee on Windows 8, Windows Defender automatically turned on. But, I would double-check it just to make sure it's on.

I can't find any remnants of McAfee, but after uninstalling Norton on my laptop, there were lots of leftover files; so I downloaded/used Norton's uninstaller tool. Someone here will know the correct link for that.

o

Thank you. I did the uninstall and yes, Win Defender turned on automatically..

o

You might wasn't to talk to an HP tech, I have 5HP,PC's in my home and talked to 2 HP techs recently who told me Do not update to 8.1 on my newest with W8, of course I had no intention of doing so, one showed me a list of all the problems that come along with 8.1. Just saying!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here