SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

Windows sharing help

chas045
10 years ago

I have not really paid much attention to network settings and I don't know the correct terms to help search for the exact help I need in Google etc. I actually do have a network running with moderate success, but it needs improvement and better control. I assume part of my ignorance is because I am not experienced with Win 7 or 8 although I have both operating systems now. I was under the impression that both new systems were supposed to help make network settings more transparent.

My current project that created my network interest, is to rip some of our CDs to my newest laptop, and among other things, see if I could network them to our TV and probably to our stereo system (TV and stereo are directly cabled). I suppose I could rip the CDs to my old desktop Dell Vostro, Win 7, 150 gig drive with 72 gig free. However, I have this new HP ENVY with some incomprehensible to me Intel Core i7 4700 2.4 GHz processor; with 12 GB memory (+4Gig more for something) and 909 GB hard drive. I assume it is way faster and should be used in preference to the old Vostro.

I have an old working Sony SMP N-100 Network Media Player. I don't believe it ever cought on well and I am guessing they probably don't give tech support on it any more. I have a wi-fi network. I originally had just one Win XP Dell Inspiron desktop (now replaced by the Win 7 Vostro), and the Sony Media Player. The Sony did and does see the desktop computer and can show the desktop pictures. It can run Netflix and Pandora etc. I have shared the new HP with the Vostro and the HP can print to the network and see the Vostro pictures. I can also make the Desktop see some of the HP but perhaps not all; and the Sony doesn't see the HP at all as far as I can tell. I ripped one CD in FLAC and three into itunes AAC. The desktop saw the FLAC files without knowing what to do with them but not the itunes (at least so far).

So: what terms concepts and settings do I need to learn to make these critters talk clearly to each other? BTW my Cisco Lynksys E1000 router has that button that can send confirmation stuff (or whatever) to a waiting receiver, and the Sony can look for it, if that is useful.

Comments (4)