Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
downloading videos

Posted by PaulSmth (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 25, 13 at 10:13

I have been using savevid.com or something like that...don't have the name handy... They have changed their format or simply isn't working anymore.

Does anyone have a free site to use for downloading and also that allows you to choose the format.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: downloading videos

do you use firefox? there are some very simple add ons for it that allow that.

o

Yes I do use an older ver of firefox. Is that the only solution. Savevid posted that firefox does not allow downloads of youtube and pushes you to using chrome.

Thanks

o

well for security reasons you should be using the most recent version of Firefox.

http://keepvid.com/

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/download-youtube-videos/

Here is a link that might be useful: download helper

o

I use keepvid.com to save youtube videos and it works great. Mary

o

I have used this one many times. Works well.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.convertfiles.com/

o

Savevid is back with it's old format so I am all set on at least the normal or usual type videos. I also installed the firefox add on. It seems to work ok.

However, I still have two problems. One website, even though I am a paying subscriber, does not allow you to download the videos. I guess they want to restrict you to just having your eyeballs glued to the computer screen instead of a comfortable tv screen in the living room. I am not sure but I think they are not providing a download link. I assume there is a way to get around this but if not then I am going to cancel my subscription and save the money.

Also I am adding images to the usb port device to display on the roku. Some of the images. particularly map images. are simply too small to read them on the tv screen. I guess I don't have any software on my system to enlarge then save the enlarged image. Any simple free software out there to do just this one task.

Thanks

o

What website are you paying for? I know you can use netflix and amazon prime on those roku boxes if you have one hooked to the TV. Mary

o

I use RealPlayer. No java required.

o

Their are a number of programs that handle the problem. The one I chose was Smilla Enlarger. It seems to handle the resolution better than the others at least as far as pc world is concerned.

It is very easy to use and takes up little space. If I change the width it proportionally changes the width. I can also change the pixel count to size the printout for a printer. Nice program.

I gave up on the download and simply cancelled my paid subscription to the one website. Any website that is so restrictive is not one I am going t waste time on.

o

I don't know any subscription sites like Netflix or hulu that will let you download the content, any legit ones anyway. Amazon you can buy downloaded movies and TV shows and they are yours forever. Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here