SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jj1940

Need new computer

jean_mi_z5
10 years ago

I would like input on the Dell XPS 8700 in the link that I have attached. Any input appreciated.
Thanks, Jean

Here is a link that might be useful: Dell XPS 8700

Comments (35)

• zep516
    10 years ago

I like it.

You're going to love it, for it's speed and responsiveness

Dell XPS (Xtreme Performance System) is a line of gaming and performance computers manufactured by Dell.

Nice processor an fast. Value alone for that is $300.00. After all that is basically the computer.
    4th Generation Intelî Core⢠i7-4770 Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.9 GHz)

Lots of Ram.
    12GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 4 DIMMs

This would be a very responsive computer, I'd think you would be happy with it.

• Elmer J Fudd
    10 years ago

It depends on what you do and how you use a PC.

If (like many in this forum) you use a PC mostly for web surfing, word processing, etc., I'd suggest this model is over-equipped for your needs. Both the onboard memory and the processor are intended for more demanding uses. Scaling down to more moderate components would mean you could get something less expensive, if that matters to you. If not, go for it.

• Related Discussions

Need a new computer - help me with brands please!

Q

Comments (15)
    The Toshiba A135 received a Very Good rating from cnet. Cnet doesn't give very many $1000 affordable laptops that high of a rating. I recently bought the A135 2877, I believe is the model, the one with 2 gs of mem. (would recommend 2 gigs minimum for vista, from what I hear. It has a 180g hard drive, actually two seperate hard drives, a 100g plus an 80g. Great for backing up your system. With this much memory and hd space, you could collect a sizeable video and audio library (were talking hundreds of songs and movies). It runs Vista flawlessly. Yes, there are faster systems out there. I would have loved one with the Nvidia graphics card, which would give you a whopping 512m of shared graphics memory. The Intel that comes with the A135 has 256megs, acceptable. For about $1100 at costco online, I thinks it's one of the best deals out there. It was about $300 more than I wanted to spend on a laptop, but I'm just thinking where technology is going today, with streaming video, tv and music becomming more and more prevailant, before too long, anything less that 2 gigs of memory and a harddrive less than 100 gigs will probably be obsolete in the next couple years. I think this will be sufficient for our needs for some years to come. -- john
    ...See More

Gygabytes???

Q

Comments (2)
    Are you referring to storage amounts or memory? Both are measured in GB, so your question is not at all clear. Most new computers come with 500GB or more of storage (hard disk). You could easily get by with less if you don't store lots of music, pictures, etc. As for RAM, you'll probably need a minimum of 4GB, but I would go with more if it's in your price range.
    ...See More

range and dishwasher

Q

Comments (0)
    2 burners on gas range need match to light. flame is very small and thin. sealed burners and no way to clean them properly. finally, spent 75$ for repairman to tell me i needed 2 new igniters, and probably a valve (for low flame). estimated around $350 to repair. dishwasher has lost some features on electronic panel. now is getting tempermental about starting. (9 yrs old). same rm said I needed a new computer panel, cost of 148 not incldg labor. wow! so off i went to lowe's, home depot and sears. i can actually buy new/with warranties (for at least a yr) for what i would pay in repair. i don't cook anymore (boil water for the most part), but do use the dishwasher every other day. looked at whirlpool, frigidaire, GE, and for the love of me, cannot tell why they are different. should i just buy cheap for another 8 yrs? also could not find repair reviews to get some idea how cheap is cheap. how different are they really at the low end.
    ...See More

videos will not play

Q

Comments (5)
    Sox try going to a video site and start the video. Then hit the pause button to stop the play but not the download, this way a buffer can be created. With dialup the download is simply too slow for instant play. If the video is quite large simply open another window and do something else on the computer while the download completes. Computer help forums are great places to avoid $260 bills but get a computer back to normal and questions answered in many instances.
    ...See More
  • owbist
    10 years ago

Yup, a lot of machine there. With an i7 and 12 gigs of Ram you'll need a strong piece of rope to hold it down.

It appears to have a separate video card meaning all 12 gigs of Ram are available as the video card has 1 gig of it's own.

Not a complaint but I wonder why all 4 USB3 sockets are on the rear instead of perhaps a pair on the front or side instead of the USB2, my motherboard is the same.

• jean_mi_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all your responses. Deciding if I want to go with Win 7 or Win 8? How long will MS support Win 7 and will it be a hassle to have to get all the Win 7 updates? (I think Win 8 will cost about $200 more)

The hard drive died on my XPS 9000 or I wouldn't be looking for a new machine. I do quite a bit with graphics and run dual monitors.

Thanks,
    Jean in snowy windy Mid Michigan....

• zep516
    10 years ago

Windows 7 support
    "Through January 12, 2015, Microsoft will provide the same complete support you have today. You'll receive both security and non-security updates. Your warranty claims will be considered and possibly honored. If your license came with no-charge incident support (yes, it exists), you'll continue to receive it. Microsoft may even add features and change the design (but not, I hope, removing the Start menu)."

"But in 2015, Windows 7 will go onto extended support, which just covers the basics. You'll still receive free security updates, but non-security-related hotfixes will only be available on a paid subscription--and you'll have to start the subscription before April 15, 2015 (if you live in the USA, that's a date with unpleasant associations in any year). There will be no free support, Microsoft won't honor warranty claims, and the company will not add new features."

"By the way, XP's mainstream support ended on April 14, 2009; Vista's ended on April 12 of this year. So if you're satisfied with the support you're getting on this operating systems, you probably won't have much to worry about with Windows 7 for another seven years."

For what it's worth, XP's extended support ends on April 8, 2014. Vista's will end on on April 11, 2017.

Information
    From here http://www.pcworld.com/article/2010820/how-long-will-microsoft-support-windows-7.html

Personally I'd go with windows 7, and wait to see what's in the works for Windows 9.

Can't you replace the hard drive ?

• jean_mi_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I suppose I could replace the hard drive but some of the other elements are starting to go. Some of the USB ports don't work..my display drivers keep messing up....I'm also looking for more speed.

• zep516
    10 years ago

I figured, so get the one you had us look at. That comes with windows 7 right ?

• jean_mi_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, that one comes with Win 7. I'm sure my Paint Shop Pro X5 won't work with Win 8. If I did decide to put a new hard drive in the 9000, what would be the steps?

Just thought... maybe give the 9000 to my husband.?..hmmm...He has Vista on his "Tin Lizzy".

• zep516
    10 years ago

" "If I did decide to put a new hard drive in the 9000, what would be the steps?

That's an area I am unfamiliar with. The exact steps. But

See here,

Many of you will know that when you buy a desktop PC or laptop from a manufacturer such as Dell, HP, Asus etc, as well as getting the pre-installed operating system, your system will also come with a sticker on the bottom or side with a Windows product key. This key can be used if you ever need to reinstall a clean Windows from an installation media instead of a pre-installed recovery image or disk. The problem arises that when you want to do this, most purchased systems rarely come bundled with a clean Windows 7 DVD from where you can perform a nice, shiny, bloat free install. Phone up tech support and they will almost certainly charge a fee to send you a disk.

So, you want to put a clean Windows 7 on your machine, you have a legal Windows 7 product key and no way of installing it, which is a bit of an inconvenience to say the least.

Read more: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/links-for-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-microsofts-official-distributer/#ixzz2rXqcjbc3

• jean_mi_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Zep..I will give it a good read....

• Elmer J Fudd
    10 years ago

Zep, you're recommending the hard drive be replaced. Except, that's something you're unfamiliar with. Why not limit your suggestions to what you ARE familiar with?

Jean, make it easy on yourself, you have a PC that's not functioning as it should. Buy a new one, buy whatever you think will best fit your needs.

• zep516
    10 years ago

YouâÂÂre like a bad penny that keeps showing up after almost every post I make. Did I know you in a past life?

If you donâÂÂt agree or like my posts just skip over them and donâÂÂt bother reading or responding to them.

• zep516
    10 years ago

Sorry if you didn't find my comments helpful.

I think the user did, lets ask the user...

• jean_mi_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes Zep...I did find your comments very helpful. I like to learn new things, even if I may never put that knowledge to use.

Snidely, I usually give you the benefit of the doubt with some of your statements, but I find your last comment to Zep about not being familiar with how to replace a hard drive uncalled for. At least he offered help. Besides, he didn't recommend replacing the hard drive, just simply asked, Can't you replace the hard drive ?

• zep516
    10 years ago

Manners are the basis of a civilized society and make everyone's lives just a little happier. They cost nothing but they are worth so much.

• Farbuncle
    10 years ago

I always recommend buying the best you can afford. it never hurts to have too much.

• owbist
    10 years ago

Jean I notice you run 2 monitors (isn't it a great feature?) so you really need to know the outputs on the card in the new computer.

I Goggled the computer then selected images before but there seems to be no set video card shown on what few back views I found. If you are running one DVI and one VGA monitor it may not matter but if both are DVI you need to know there are 2 DVI connectors on the video card.

---------------------------
    Regarding the old computer. From what I see you have a computer with an i7 processor already and 6 gigs of RAM. I would definitely be replacing the hard drive in a hurry. A 1 gig hard drive can cost just over $50 (see Tigerdirect). Zep provided a link to down load an .iso of Windows 7. You will need to get drivers from Dell, you can visit Dell, enter the tag number on the rear of your computer and a list of needed drivers appears. Download those needed, I like to do this beforehand so they are there when needed.

Replacing the hard drive is not a hard task by any stretch of the imagination. Note how you remove the old one and then do the process in reverse. The 25 digit activation key found on the rear will allow you to activate with no problems. Even a first timer can do this in under 30 minutes, just be cool, calm and collected.

• grandms
    10 years ago

Absolutely replacing a hard drive is not very difficult. I have done it twice in the past 8 years, and I am in my 80's agewise. The hardest part was being able to reach into the "innards" and get hold of the right connectors. Just take your time and be sure you have the tower up on something so that you're working at eye level.

• Elmer J Fudd
    10 years ago

Zep, I think you try to be helpful. Where I come from, when a question is asked that one has no experience or expertise to answer, the best thing to do is listen, not talk.

This is a "help" forum of sorts, I don't think people who ask questions expect to receive responses from others who simply speculate or get their knowledge from a Google search. It's anonymous and people are trusting. You might be a PC tech and maybe I'm a Golden Retriever. It could be the other way around. A good answer is one that's useful to the asker.

I limit comments to what I'm reasonably comfy with, and when guessing, I say so. To keep the record clear, I've replaced hard drives. Jean seems to be uncomfortable with keeping XP. Her PC is having driver problems and has non-functioning USB plugs, I suggested that buying a new one was the best approach for her. Feel free to disagree or suggest alternatives you're familiar with.

• zep516
    10 years ago

YouâÂÂre like a bad penny that keeps showing up after almost every post I make. Did I know you in a past life?

If you donâÂÂt agree or like my posts just skip over them and donâÂÂt bother reading or responding to them.

• jean_mi_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"Jean I notice you run 2 monitors (isn't it a great feature?)"
    I love my dual monitors.

I have one VGA and the other is Dual link DVI-I on the old computer. I will most certainly check on that. I will be calling in my order, so I will have a lot of questions. Trying to gather as much info before hand. And I do appreciate all that has been offered.

Regarding the new hard drive, it isn't a matter of not knowing how to install a hard drive. I have installed a second hard drive on my old XP (my favorite OS) computer.

I checked Zep's link and the ISO file is over 3 gigs and I'm afraid my internet connection won't handle that. I will have to figure out how to get that done. But I'm still considering replacing the hard drive and giving to my husband.

SNIDELY, would you please kindly just give it a rest? Nothing you have added to this conversation as been helpful to me. You're just adding confusion.

• Elmer J Fudd
    10 years ago

I'm sorry you didn't like my comments, Jean. Before the distraction arose, I was trying to offer thoughts that I hoped would be helpful to you. I think that's what most "helpers' here do but of course, opinions and knowledge do vary.

• DA_Mccoy
    10 years ago

Googling a concern and posting it under an appearance of personal knowledge does not prove experience/ability/know-how. All it does is prove an ability to Google, and cut in paste. I find it approaching deception. However, it often may provide the remedy required. I don't like it, but who am I to decide in totality.

Though I think I might be guilty of interchanging the words inadvertently, Suggesting options are fine when presented as such. Opinions when presented properly are fine too. When they are not they should be kept to one's self as like noses we all have one.

DA

This post was edited by damccoy on Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 17:05

• jean_mi_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Snidely, if you will read my op, I asked for input on a particular pc, not your opinion of another poster's offerings. You have successfully hijacked my thread. I'm out of here.

• Elmer J Fudd
    10 years ago

Yes you did and my first post responded to your request.

I said nothing further until the conversation went off in another direction with what seemed to be sketchy advice. I responded to that new direction, just as you did.

Have a nice day.

• jean_mi_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Computer finally arrived today after a 3 day delay due to weather. In the setup pamphlet, it has space to record a password. I don't believe I had a password on the one I am replacing. Do you feel it is necessary?

Jean
    ~whose husband is more excited over the new computer than I am :)

• jean_mi_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is now password protected and written down in several places....thanks...

• jean_mi_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Computer came with McAfee installed. Haven't activated it yet. Have Avast ready to install. Just double checking. I have a tendency to err on the side of caution.

Regarding McAfee. After activating, it says to go to add/remove and follow steps to remove. Then run the MCPR.exe. Restart computer if you receive message 'Cleanup Successful". Anything else I should be aware of?

Jean

• dee_can1
    10 years ago

My father just got the same computer in January Dell XPS 8700 - it's 24 gbs - maybe more than needed; but he'll never run out of memory. ha I set it up for him. And, I did uninstall McAfee from the Programs and Features. I left it at that, but later found out that I should have run the McAfee removal tool afterwards (I believe the MCPR.exe); so I just ran that a couple of days ago, and it did find some leftover files that it deleted. So, it's clean of anything McAfee.

Windows Defender came on after removing it (edit: 'it' being, McAfee) from Programs and Features. It looks like the same program, essentially, as MSE. I also installed Superantispyware and Malwarebytes.

Not to take away from your questions, but I'm wondering if you uninstalled any 'bloatware', not that I'm sure what the bloatware would be. But since you have the same computer, basically, I'm just wondering if you left everything that came installed (other than the McAfee, that is).

btw, he got Windows 8, so it's been a learning experience. And he did have an old XP as well, the USB ports were slowly dying off, and things just weren't working well anymore. (Editing again: I also see you have Windows 7, so disregard 'Windows Defender' coming on...)

This post was edited by dee_can on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 9:18

• jean_mi_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dee. I have a few errands to run and then on to removing McAfee. I haven't looked at many of the programs that came with it yet. Probably find a lot that I won't or don't want to use.

Jean

• fruitjarfla
    10 years ago

From the Free Dictionary: "snide snidey
    adjective nasty, sneering, malicious, mean, cynical, unkind, hurtful, sarcastic, disparaging, spiteful, insinuating, scornful, shrewish, ill-natured He made a snide comment about her weight."

• Elmer J Fudd
    10 years ago

Sorry fruitjar, wrong source for the name and an unfortunate association.

From early internet days, a common (and recommended) technique was to use a nom de guerre. My favorite cartoon as a kid was Dudley Do-Right, a segment of the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show. Alas, "Dudley Do-Right" seemed unattractive to use in its various configurations (Dudley, or Do-Right), but the name of his arch enemy, Snidely Whiplash, seemed more suitable. It's also my email address.

You're welcome to offer views that differ from mine, explain why and everyone will learn.

• DA_Mccoy
    10 years ago

I sure like the re-recommendation of the use of a manufacturer's dedicated AV removal tool rather than the usage of a plain old removal.

DA

Here is a link that might be useful: Google

• RudyCW
    10 years ago

For future reference, unless you are doing video editing (heavy) you really do not need an i7. Most people don't need more than 4GB of RAM either. 1TB hard drive is nice, but it's also slow and I would rather use external drives for storing photos, etc.

Want FAST loading programs? Get an SSD and put the things you use the most on it (operating system, etc.)

You can build a PC really cheap these days (60% for the same computer when you do it yourself) and it really is easy as pie. Watch some youtube videos and you can do it an hour while listening to music and relaxing.

• susanjn
    10 years ago

It may only take an hour to put it together, but...

My dh enjoys doing that and has built many computers for our family. He spends many hours researching components, finding the best price, and waiting for them to arrive. Then some part won't work and must be returned. The troubleshooting alone can take some time.

Since he enjoys it, it's all ok. But I would never call it easy.

(And I always think Snidely Whiplash when I see snidely's posts.)