SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dee_can1

Windows 8 Questions

dee_can1
10 years ago

Windows 8 desktop has arrived; and I have some questions. I'll start with a couple for now.

1. What antivirus do you 'guys' use with Windows 8 (Windows 8 Pro - haven't upgraded to 8.1 yet)? This one came with McAfee on it already, which I want to uninstall. I had plans to uninstall it anyway; but it does seem to slow the internet down so I want to do it soon. I've already installed Spywareblaster, Superantispyware, and Malwarebytes - may be overkill, but I have those 3 on my laptop and they work well together.

I know Windows Defender is the antivirus program in Windows 8, by default, replacing Windows Essentials. But on this computer, it has been turned off - probably for the McAfee av program to work. But, is Windows Defender the only program I would need? So I guess my question is, would it be sufficient to just uninstall McAfee and enable Windows Defender?

2. What email program do you recommend? Outlook 2013 is part of Windows 8 Pro, so we went with that. The big problem with it is that emails just disappear from the inbox. I did a lot of searching on the internet to see if I could fix the problem, and as of yesterday, I hadn't fixed it - but it seems to be a bug with the Outlook mail. I have an email in the inbox now and I'm waiting to see if/when that will just vanish. Very strange - and not fun, nor desired, as you can imagine. So, I'm just curious what most of you are using for email. Thanks.

Comments (8)