SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blinkygoback

bying a new Laptop (maybe similar to HP pavil g6, i5 3210m)

blinkygoback
11 years ago

What is your budget?
�300-500

What country will you be buying this in?
UK (or possibly in S.E. Asia!)

What size notebook do you prefer?
Mainstream (15 - 16-inch screen)
Desktop Replacement (17-inch + screen)

What brands do you like or dislike?
Dislike: apple

Would you consider a refurbished laptop?
Maybe

What are the primary tasks you need this notebook for?
Web Surfing, Listening to Music, Photo Editing, Video Editing, Movie Streaming and Viewing, Graphic Intense 3D Gaming

Will be using in several different environments all over Asia, connecting to many many diff wi-fi's so would need a secure laptop.
...also with fingerprint reader maybe.

What games will you be playing?
Not too high end but some recent games would be nice to play occasionally.
Some retro classics i will install: avp2, steam- CS & DOD source, generals zero hour, age of empires 2.

...but also battlefield 2: bad company and bf3, gta4, left for dead 2 and call of duty mw2 maybe...
-some more up to date games..e.g.assassins creed 2 or 3.

Where will you be using this laptop?
Will be used different places

How many hours of battery life do you need?
4-6

Will you be buying online or in store?
online or in store

Which OS do you prefer?
Windows 7

List the screen resolutions that interest you:
Standard Resolution (1366 x 768)
High Resolution (1600 x 900)

Do you prefer a glossy or matte screen?
Glossy or Matte is fine

Is the laptops design important to you?
No

Approximately what date will you be buying this laptop?
Around 01/15/2013

How long do you want this laptop to last?
3+ years

How much storage capacity do you need?
500 GB

Are you interested in SSD for storage?
No

Do you want a built-in optical drive, what type?
DVD Burner

================================================== ==============================

Currently looking at 2 hp pavillions in PC World, one is A-8 with AMD, and one is i5 but with intel hd graphics. both on sale at �399.
Im not the biggest fan of HP but not too fussy as, am on a budget!

Other preferences:
More lighweight the better!
Big hi res HD LED screen 14/15inch+ (...17inch maybe too big for travel/backpack?)
Good audio/speakers
Able to edit HD movie camera files
Usb3 ports for future use
Multimedia features

I did consider the ultrabook range but wasnt sure on their performance. (lightweight/portable)

I dont need blu-ray or highend gaming chip, just average range...(or could potentially remove and reuse my nvidia geforce 9600m gt 1gb from my acer 6930!)
Dont partic want windows 8
Had a netbook for my last travels, and the small screen and keyboard drove me insane!

================================================== =======

I appreciate any help i can get!
Cheers very much
:)

Comments (3)

• azinoh
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sounds like you are asking a lot for a very limited budget.
    You'll need multiple voltage adapters and suitable cords/plugs for the countries you plan to visit.
    Anything new that you buy will probably have Win 8. Downgrading it to Win 7 will be an added cost.
    Are you VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE & HIGHLY CONSCIOUS about how to secure this computer when connecting to unsecured wireless networks? You'd better be...especially anywhere in Asia.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

I would definitely consider the new ultra books in particular the Asus ultra book that is both a tablet and laptop in one it won't be cheap but for travel the size and weight will be important, I think you should go with 8,it will hard to find new with out it. I would definitely not get 17" for travel. I think anything in the newer released laptops will cover your needs. The ultra book convertible is the best of both worlds, I think being able to use it in tablet mode will come in very handy. I personally own the Asus tf300 transformer tablet which I love but you want something bigger it sound like and your gaming needs would probably dictate a laptop.
    I don't mind a refurbished as long as it is factory refurbished with some warranty.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

I would add a small portable multi use router in my travel bag especially since you will be using wifi in foreign countries. I carry a small zyxel. The one I use even allows you to access mobile network by using my att dongle.
    The security is great on them. has Nat as well as Spi firewall, WPA2 security . It also creates a wifi hotspot so if you need to use other devices or share with friends.
    Plus it has the ability to run from batteries if you have no electrical plugs near by. You can use ethernet, wifi, 3G,access.
    There's a few different models plus other brands of course.

Here is a link that might be useful: zyxel

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals