Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Upnp... another software bug

Posted by luis_pr (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 7:22

I read a short news article saying we now also have to "turn off" something called Upnp, a networking software due to bugs, blah, blah. The article did not say how to do that. It was not clear to me what the impact of turning this off is either. Has anyone else seen better information about this?

PS - this is getting old... maybe we should just turn off all computers, smartphones, tablets, LOL!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Upnp... another software bug

Over the years I've turned off uPnP, only to turn it right back on because I need it, I use it.. it makes life too simple.

You have the options in your services to set it manual,, or disabled. Just looked here.. win8 is manual as default and its not presently running. But I imagine every start up of the computer its on for a few moments to discover the router/modem/network - and certainly must check them every so often.

o

mikie, where are these options you mentioned on XP? I could not find anything talking about this under Tools > Options. Looked in Windows Explorer too but found nothing.

o

• Posted by mikie z9 St.Pete.FL (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 22:35

If you have a router or router modem, turn it off there.
In windows versions, they all look alike to me and I believe XP has the Management Console that you can access by right clicking the desktop icon for Computer and select Manage. Near the bottom of that window you will find services. Near the top you will find Event logs...

Perhaps wise to look in Event logs before & after you disable it for any errors that might possibly be created when disabled.

Here is a bit of info you might want to read...

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.blackviper.com/windows-services/ssdp-discovery-service/

This post was edited by mikie on Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 22:42

o

Here's a site where you can check to see if your router is vulnerable to this problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: check your router

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here