Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can,t connect to wireless

Posted by iggie (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 4:28

I have an HP laptop using windows Vista the home version whenever I try to use wireless connection to my Netgear router I cannot connect. Know the router is ok because wife,s laptop connects with no problem. When I try get a message saying the wireless setup wizard cannot locate a network. When I use the trouble shooting feature provided, get the message saying windows cannot fix problem and that the wireless windows capability is not active on this computer. I have tried system restore no help. reinstalled the program using a start up disc still get the same thing. Also the wireless on indicator lights. Can anyone help me? Any help or info will be greatly appreciated. Iggie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can,t connect to wireless

Do you have other active wireless networks nearby? If yes, one or more may be strong enough to interfere with yours especially if you are on the same channel. Which channel are you using? Don't know? Then you are probably on the default (6). You should power-cycle the router and experiment with another channel and see if the situation improves.

o
RE: Can,t connect to wireless

Did the wireless switch get turned off accidentally? That's the easiest fix.
I had to Google for the information on starting wireless in Vista since I have very little hands on with Vista. You need to start wireless service.
Open Control Panel, change view to icons.
Open Administrative Tools and double click on services.
Find the one labelled Wired AutoConfig and double click it. If properties show as anything other than automatic, change to automatic. Stop and start the service using the buttons on that dialog box. Click OK.
Repeat these steps with WLAN AutoConfig.
Close the windows and attempt to connect to the network again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here