o
plagued by scads of popups!!

Posted by paleblue (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 2:12

how can I minimize this problem//they come one after another. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plagued by scads of popups!!

At the very least, you should post which version of Windows and which browser you are using. Normally I would recommend you install the free versions of Malwarebytes and Superantispyware but it sounds like you are already severely infected so you may have to do these in SAFE MODE. You should also visit the site below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lanzdown

o

ok........................I have windows 7, IE..................trying to
install malwarebytes..they require my product ID and
product key. Can you help me with that?

o

Malwarebytes is free, you should not need a product key or anything. Do you need a link for free Malwarebytes?

Edit,

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop click Here
Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

1 Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.

2 If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.

3 Once the program has loaded, select "Quick Scan", then click Scan

4 The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.

5 When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.

6 Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

7 When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)

8 The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

9 Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

This post was edited by zep516 on Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 23:16

o

You should not be required to furnish product ID and/or product key to download Malwarebytes. I strongly suggest you visit the Lanzdown site suggested.

o

zep, couldn't get what you described. Grandms..Landsdown rejected me 3 times, said the numbers I copied were incorrect &my email was invalid.
Anytime I try to reach a site, I have to battle thru several
popups. Been at this for 2 days. Added a new printer and
even that is messed up. It's really a nasty situation. Anyway I was hoping to get help from malwarebytes and
I'm blocked there too.

o

Do you have access to a second computer - a friend or neighbour if you only have one in the home?

If so use that machine, go here to download malwarebytes from Filehippo - a very safe site.

Then go here to download the latest definitions. Use the second green button

Copy them both to a thumb/flash drive or CD. Take them to your own computer, install Malwarebytes from there in the usual way. Then double click on the mbam-rules.exe file, this will update the program. Run a full scan not a quick scan.

o

Microsoft says for IE 8: Click Tools then Pop up blocker settings, then select Low, Medium, or High -- for the Blocking Level Setting.

o

hi all..........................finally got thru to malwarebytes, did a deep scan. There were 220 objects of infection. Have
used it for 2 weeks. It was supposed to be refurbished.
Bought it thru ebay...will ask for refund.

thanks for all you time and help

o

paleblue-
Did you do a scan of it when you first bought it to ensure it was clean? It's entirely possible that those infections could have occurred during your 2 weeks of ownership, even though you weren't aware of it. In addition, a refurbished computer purchased from a third party would mean that it is supposedly mechanically sound, not that it is necessarily free from malware, although that would be nice and might seem like a logical assumption. If you bought it from a manufacturer, then I think you would have a complaint, but I think you will have a problem getting a refund under the situation you described. Besides, if it is now free of malware, what is the issue?

o

I agree with kudzu, you were happy to purchase the confuser and have fought with the malware and won. Sit back and enjoy the new toy :~)

Out of curiosity what are you using for virus protection? You might consider running a Malwarebytes scan every 2 or 3 weeks for a while in case it is someplace you visit that is delivering your unwanted friends.

And NEVER click a link in an email from an unknown source or even from a known source if only the link is provided without a comment as they likely would not have sent the email.

o

hi, even though I removed what infections were found, the
computer still cannot restore, .the curser has a mind of it's
own (need 2 hands to hold it steady) popups continue.

Furthermore, I purchased another refurbished computer 8 months ago. Ran a deep scan on that one too and found 1
infection, and really didn't have any problems.

No, I didn't run a scan on the problem computer when I got
it. Just naïve. I use MICROSOFT ESSENTIALS and
no other products...........until adding the malwarebytes
yesterday.

o

You could try this if you can get it to run:

Here is a link that might be useful: ESET Online Scan

o

GOOD NEWS...vendor has agreed to take computer back.
Any words of wisdom regarding what I should do to the
computer before I send it back? Thanks

o

paleblue-
Good for you. It probably helps that you have additional problems, but in any case, you must have been persuasive!

As for things to do before sending it back, have you stored any personal documents or done anything on it like banking or other things of import where personal info could still reside on it?

o

hello..yes I did some banking and paid some bills. May
have ordered things on credit card...not sure.

o

It might be overkill, but you could consider using a free disk wipe program to clean the hard drive. If you decide to do that, let the vendor know first so they don't balk when they get the machine back, because wiping the disk also removes the operating system and it will have to be reloaded from restore disks.

Here is a link that might be useful: dban

o

Personally, not saying you should even consider this, but since it came with Windows 7, it should have a valid authenticity sticker on it, correct?

Myself, I'd probably grab a clean Windows 7 ISO, burn it, and install it fresh and squeaky clean.

Yes I realize I might need to give Microsoft a call to activate, but having a genuine authenticity sticker, I figure I could do that, right?

BTW, if you're not comfortable doing an install, and don't know how to locate any special hardware drivers you might need, you shouldn't even consider it.

Just my "what I'd do". Mostly because, for me personally, having to box it up and pay to ship it back would be more hassle than the install. :)

o

Did you ever consider the possibility that this computer has been a "time bomb" from the beginning? Perhaps the seller is an identity thief who intentionally sold an infected computer to capture your personal information and then is eager to refund your money, hoping that you did an incomplete job of removing your banking info and other important data. In the long run, it might be cheaper and less worrisome to keep it and pay someone to make sure all infections are removed. If someone does steal your identity, you will be dealing with that problem for years.

I would never buy a computer on eBay...but that's just me.

o

You can certainly do as Chuggerguy suggests but you will very likely have to phone Microsoft because online activation will be rejected. This is painless but needs 45 minutes of your time explaining why you did what you did and then telling the service person's supervisor what a wonderful job they did on getting you activated. Both times the ladies (once Mexican, once Indian) the language was not an issue.

This has happened to me with both Windows 7 and 8 yet before with all flavours of Windows we never had that experience and I resent being perceived as a crook.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here