SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luis_pr

How do you compare data plans for smart phones?

luis_pr
11 years ago

I have been looking for a way to compare 4g smart phone data plans in order to see who is lower or lowest but there is so little useful information that I have done nothing since my flip phone broke almost 12 months ago. Thank God we had two flip phones. I am considering smart phones... since there is such a bad selection of flip phones now. But choosing is frustrating so, I put off researching for several weeks or a month each time I look around. It has been almost a year soon.

Originally, I found a web site from Kim Komando (http://www.komando.com/dataplan-calculator/) but the rates shown in there seem old, they no longer match what I saw on the companies websites now. I recently found a new site (http://www.myrateplan.com/data_calculator/) but it was bad. Other similar places always want one to count things that one cannot really count.

For example: take the number of emails in a given time... a good chunk of my emails are junk emails that I delete so I cannot count those But I have to for the estimate to be somewhat accurrate (the rest of the emails go to the Junk Folder or get moved to other folders). So I have no way to tell how many I get (tried the obvious... not deleting them, not moving them and forgot!!!). Take counting "the number of web pages"... nothing out there gives me a monthly count so, no way to answer that; number of downloads... I do a small numbers but I have no idea how many times my software/Windows/Virus Checkers automatically download to stay updated; streaming... I do not even know what that is but then, what if I want to use that; get the idea how difficult this is????

So, if you comparison shopped some of these smart phone data plans, how did you do the compare? what tool(s) did you use?

I hate selecting a carrier and a certain amount only to find the next day that I got too big of a plan or too small of a plan. I am afraid if I do not select something, I may be on the way to waiting two years to replace the broken flip phone. TIA, Luis

Comments (5)