Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can a rookie fix her computer

Posted by sportsmom12 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 18, 09 at 20:54

My othercomputer started loading programs very slowly out of the blue. I work for a company that allowd us to download virus software which I did and it removed a virus. But now the computer doesn't act right. I tried to uninstall programs I didn't need thinking that would help. Now I noticed I also have an error 1601 error. System info:
Running on Windows XP
Software downloaded is symtec?(norton)
I did scan disk and defrag- neither helped and I have plenty of diskspace

I will need simple instructions if there is something I can try as I really don't understand all the windows registry stuff. I was smart enough not to run registry clean up progams.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can a rookie fix her computer

I think you'll get a faster answer if you post this query on the discussions side of the forum just copy your post and click on discussions at the top of this page and post again. They are always willing to help out if they can

o
RE: Can a rookie fix her computer

You would definitely get better response on the discussions area.
I would suggest if you are allowed to download programs to get this free program which is the best around for removing malware, this will be ok to have along with your antivirus.
download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location. The log can also be found here: C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
download link
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
this is a free program but can be purchased to get the automated version.

Go ahead and get that and run it and see if it finds more malware to eliminate.
And I am glad you did not use a registry cleaner they can cause serious issues if not used properly.

This link may also help you out.
Help! My computer is slow!

if you need more help I am always over on the discussions side.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here