Return to the Computer Crafts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your owm Web site?

Posted by SteveC50 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 15, 02 at 22:29

Do any of you have their own web site w/ domain name? I'm thinking of getting my own domain name and a 5 page web site. It's going to cost me $20 US a month. Is there anything I should know before I shell out any money? This will be my own Web address and not a web page on a site.
Thanks for any help,
Steve C.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your owm Web site?

You would probably get more answers if you posted on the computer help and webhelp sites.

Here is a link that might be useful: Try this:

o

Steve, I have my own website. My isp gives me 100 mb of webspace. I made a webpage using some of my space for a friend who had an antique shop. For $8.95 a year I bought a domain name for her. Actually I guess it was more of a forwarding service. You could type in www.cackleberries-antiques.com and it would go to her site, but the address in the address bar was my address. Anyway, wasn't bad for such a cheap price. She went out of business so I gave up the domain name.
I have lots of pages now for myself and my son and still haven't come close to using the 100 mb of space!

o

Do a lot of comparison shopping there are some really good deals out there.

It is very nice having your own domain. You get the email addresses you like and I have quite a bit of fun with my website.

I use www.hostings.com they have several package deals and I've been very happy with them over the last 3 years.

o

Thank you all for posting back.I'll look into your ideas.
Marciakm, I went to that forum and posted there. Thanks a lot.
Take care, Steve C.

o

I think you can find something for alot cheaper than $20 a month, there are some for $7.95 a mo.

have fun

o

Hi SteveC -- The reason most people get their own .com is to appear to the public as a legitimate business or organization. In the business world someone using a "free" site isn't looked at as very serious - don't want to ruffle any feathers but that's how business people view them. And $20 per month sound average. I pay more. If it's a true business, then that $20 is a business expense toward advertising, etc. And realize you get what you pay for still holds true in computer service - so check them out. HTH :0)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Crafts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here