Return to the Computer Crafts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making material using your PC

Posted by Cece_ (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 30, 02 at 15:31

I know I need to handle this carefully, as I don't want to upset Spike, even though I do pay to be here (LOL)--

BUT_

Today on a TV show, there was a lady who showed how she puts everyday items on her scanner, drapes over them pretty material, makes a scan, and proceeds to make her own material to make a quilt.

Now, printing a pic onto fabric is nothing new, but her technique makes the material very soft, and suitable for quilt piecing. I wish I would have taped the show, but will be on the lookout for it to air again.

In the meantime, I thought you might enjoy reading about it. Even if you aren't into quilts, other applications are endless.

She had a very long banner made out of an old photo of her dad, as decorations for his 90th birthday.

I am posting to several groups, so don't be disappointed if the link doesn't work right away.

I am in NO way affiliated with this lady or her site----just wanted to share.

Here is a link that might be useful: Making soft material from your printer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making material using your PC

The Bubble Jet Set has been mentioned here before. I have printed photos, etc. directly onto fabric with my printer but I've never tried the Bubble Jet Set.

o

I have the Bubble Jet Set. I haven't made too much with it yet, but have made some fabric labels (with a very small pic), and a couple of quilt blocks.

I actually made 4 quilt blocks, two using tranfer paper for dark fabrics. Of the 4, the two using the Bubble Jet set and white cotton fabric was the best, hands down.

So I can say that it does transfer your design (I have a cheap printer, Lexmark Z22), looks great, feels great. The only thing I can't vouch for is long term.....I haven't tried washing it, nor have I had them long enough to see long term effects, like fading.

I haven't done this yet, but thought it would be something to play with. I thought about doing some dolls with this. Using the computer to do the graphics, print onto the fabric and then sew it up. Just a thought.

o

wnlbutterfly, I had planned to make dolls in that way also. I wanted to scan a photo and use the persons (or childs) face as the doll face. I played around with it for awhile and then got side-tracked. Maybe I'll work some more with it now. Like I mentioned above, I have printed directly onto fabric and it works fine and looks good. The Bubble Jet Set is supposed to make it washable. I have heard that it goes a long way and can be reused.

o

I had saved this website to my Favorites to check later, but it is no longer available. Does anyone know if you can buy this Bubble Jet at a craft store or was it exclusive to this company? I was very interested in trying this.

Thanks.

o
RE: Making material u sing your PC

Try this site, mariahw44, Bubble Jet Set. I think that I read awhile back that some quilt shops sold it or a similar product. Good luck and let us know how your items turn out.

o

It was difficult to find...either online or from a quilt shop. I have used it to copy my dog's pic on muslin. Worked great. Have only played with it a couple of times. Need to go back and focus again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Crafts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here