Return to the Computer Crafts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Covering a formula can

Posted by Lisa_in_Germany (rittell@web.de) on
Tue, Dec 17, 02 at 4:07

I want to make a "label" for a formula can, but a regular sheet of paper is not long enough to go all the way around.
To those of you experienced crafters, what would your solution be?
1) paint the can and just make a small label for the front
2) make the label on two sheets and piece together?
3) paint the can and make a full page label that goes 3/4 of the way around?
4)Any other suggestions?????
I would like to decorate these and fill them with candy for Christmas gifts. The lid is plastic and I will use a CD label for it.
Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Covering a formula can

Hi Lisa...are they metal or that cardboard-y stuff? Either way, I think I would give them a quick lil' coat of a spray paint and then make a label for the front.
Great idea...bet you have a bunch of them (wink)
Tiger

Another thought would be to buy a packaged cookie, cocoa, brownie, cake mix, etc. and just put the ingredients in the can, then the label could be the instructions....there's a few sites where they do paint cans like this, if you're interested...some make their own mixes too.

o

They're metal, Tiger. REally nice ones, too.
I think I will do it that way. They aren't completely smooth, they have inverted ridges around them, so I would like to cover them, but one piece doesn't cover all the way around. I don't think it will look good to piece two pieces together, though.
They are piling up quick around here, though! LOL
Lisa

o
RE: Covering a formula can....again

I'm not too crazy about trying to get 2 pieces around them either, Lisa. You could just use the one sheet and carry it around the back, best you can.....remember to post pix for us when you're done!!!

o

Lisa, can you use legal size paper instead?

o

If I had any, I would, Mary Ann. Not sure it would fit, either. There is a good 3-4" gap back there.
Lisa

o

Hi Lisa, I really don't have anything to add to what's been said but I was reading the posts and had to chuckle at a word that Tiger came up with "cardboard-y stuff". Sorry Tiger as I'm easily amused. No I'm not really pickin' on you.
Take care, Steve C.

o

How about using scrapbooking paper; they are 12x12 and come in an endless array of patterns. If you put your label sideways over where the paper comes together in the back, it may help to cover the "shortage" and be useful at the same time. (Good thing you're not breast feeding, I'd hate to think of what your question would be! LOL) Good luck!

o

I did one and used legal size paper it fit just right.I laminated mine for durability and the ridges of the formula can don't show so much that way. As for not having any legal paper, rather than buying a ream of it, maybe you could buy just a sheet or two at a copy center like Kinkos or even Office Depot or Staples.

o

Awww, Steve, you know I love to give you the opportunity to chuckle at me! Hehehehe!

o

Lisa....You can print out your label and glue it to a larger sheet of colored paper and cut it to fit the can....

I know this is too late for Christmas gifts but you can do it for birthday and such...

And I like the idea of covering the paper with a clear contact....

Patti

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Crafts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here