Return to the Computer Crafts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dingbats, anyone?

Posted by ArtsyCraftsy (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 7, 02 at 16:26

If you love dingies like I do, here's a nice site for some ones I hadn't seen before. As I mention on C&D, these are great for the glass marble magnets.

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: dingbat pages

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dingbats, anyone?

That IS a nice site! And a great idea to use with the marbles!

o

I don't understand the use for dingbats, when using some of them they don't show the words your saying just symbols. Can some one explain the use to me. Thank you.

o

Hi Sapphires- Dingbats are almost always just tiny pictures/symbols and not letters. There is such a wide variety out there! I have butterflies, flowers, postage stamps, ethnic designs, holiday images, animals, and all other kinds of patterns & images. There is a different picture assigned to each letter of the alphabet. It is a way to add cute little images to your projects that will always be nice & clear no matter how large you make them. Let's say you are making a card and want a border of flowers along the bottom. You can make that border by typing a row of flower dingbats. Or maybe on the inside you have a birthdy greeting and you want a little picture of a hat or cake beside the words. You can type the birthday dingbat and make it any color you want.
I can type a dingbat in my image editor and fill it with a a pattern or photo and turn it into my own custom clip art.
I collect dingbats for various crafts, like card making, stickers, creating background papers, shrinky plastic charms, image transfer on polymer clay, & the marble magnets & pushpins. I even glued a bunch to the links on a blank bracelet and made my own custom jewelry!

Karen

o

Karen,
Thanks so much for explaining it to me. Sounds like fun, I think I am gettting hooked. Let me ask you, can I save them to a folder I create other than the font folder, and when I want to use them just open that folder, minimize it and then be able to use that font? Awaiting your reply and then I'm off to get me some dingbats. LOl.

o

The dingbats can be downloaded into their own folder apart from fonts (that's what I do) for organization purposes. But since they really are a font made of pictures instead of letters, you need to install them into your system fonts folder just like your other fonts. Once they are installed they will be useable.
TIP-I double-click on each font in my fonts folder, which causes a window to pop open displaying all the characters in that font. You can print that page and keep it in a notebook. I just browse thru the notebook and I can look at all the characters at once, making it easy to find the exact one I want to use. I find it easier to do it this way rather than relying on a tiny on-screen preview.

Karen

o

Karen,
I could use your help with a font, would you mind emailing me. Thanks.
Sapphires

o
RE: fonts/dingbats,

Karen,
Hi again, well I managed to do it myself. You have created a font monster, lol. I can see how much fun this is and so many things to do with fonts/dingbats. Thanks so much for sharing the sites.

Sapphires

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Crafts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here