Return to the Computer Crafts Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help enlarging a picture

Posted by downsouth (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 21, 06 at 0:01

I need help for a friend. She has downloaded a bmp picture on a message board of her family, but the picture is so small (something like 175x223). I copied it to my computer and changed it to a JPEG format in Adobe Photoshop, then enlarged it, but it's really blurry. I even downloaded RealJPEG and changed the format this way, but it's still blurry.

How can I change a BMP format to a JPG and enlarge it without it being blurry?

Thanks, Dee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help enlarging a picture

Hello Dee.

I am in no way a pro but I have never been able to enlarge a small picture without it being blurry. It has something to do with the megapixels (how many dots per inch). Even if it does look clear on the computer screen more than likely if you try to print it it will be blurry.

If anyone knows of a way to do this please share cuz I'm interested too. :)

Bethany

o

Usually, it is not possible to enlarge a picture (increase the resolution) and keep the same quality. When you try to do so, it is the same as magnifying the picture many many times. If you've ever done this, notice how the picture loses details and pixelates, or turns into squares of color without fine detail.

A picture meant only for a monitor does not need as much detail stored in the file to still look good on screen. A picture for printing, however, needs more detail (a larger file) because a printer can print at a higher resolution than your monitor can display. (more or less, anyway)

It gets a bit confusing because cameras and monitors use pixels-per-inch, yet printers use dots-per-inch. If you google dpi and/or ppi, you can probably find a better explanation than what I've suggested here.

o

The short answer it that it can not be done and be a lossless conversion.

when you increase a pictures resolution via resizing through an image manipulation utility or paintshop/photoshop program, you increase the pixels so the software has to "guess" to fill in the extra pixels with close-to-color fill of the surrounding pixels, which makes them choppy and blurry. You can attempt to sharpen this with the softwares SHARPEN option, but you still will not get the same quality, and eventually if you sharpen too much it affect contrast and becomes blocky and too sharp.

Possible solutions would include sharpening, scanning an existing image to a higher resolution, or digital camera have resolutions etting that can be adjusted for size so you can take another pic using that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Crafts Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here