Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanannsolo

Steam Cleaner

susanannsolo
15 years ago

Has anyone found a relatively inexpensive (under $200) steam cleaner that you're extremely happy with?

Comments (4)

• Phobie Privett
    15 years ago

I personally have a steam shark "steam blaster" from Lowe's. I paid $99 and it's been a life saver. It's a canister type that holds alot more water/steams for much longer than the stick type steamers. I'd much rather have a ladybug, but that'll have to wait until I win the lottery! :)

If you'll do a search for "steam cleaners" on this forum, you'll find LOTS of info and opinions that will help you find what you're looking for. Good luck!

• susanannsolo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did go out and buy the Shark Steam Blaster two days ago and tried using it on a fiberglass shower and tile floor grout. Although a tremendous amount of steam came out, it didn't clean away any soap scum or mold. I was using the small nylon brush. Next time I'll try using a different attachment. What have you cleaned with success and using which attachments?

Has anyone out there tried the Shark Steam Blaster and also one of the expensive models (such as the Ladybug, VC3000, TR5, Kleenjet, etc.) - to tell me if there is a world of difference?

By the way, I also bought the Bissell steam mop a couple of days ago and loved using it on my kitchen linoleum floor. It got up everything that had been left behind by my 30 Christmas guests! It sure beats being down on my hands and knees! Now if I can figure out how to properly use the Shark Steam Master for other chores (or figure out which more expensive one to buy), I'll be all set!

Thanks for your help and Happy New Year!

• Phobie Privett
    15 years ago

To be honest, I mostly use mine just to clean the tile (I have a lot of it!). But I also spot clean my grout, for cleaning out corners where dust and gunk get stuck, cleaning toilet crevices-like the hinges on the seat, (no attachments, just take off the mop part at the first top joint). You might try spraying on some cleaner (perhaps Kaboom for showers) before trying to clean the soap scum. Actually, I've found that Kaboom works well by itself without the steamer. Also try wetting about 5 fabric softener sheets and scrubbing the shower with them. Takes off soap scum really well. As for the mold, I've just used the steamer without any attachments, again taking off everything past the first joint and it usually sprays right out. I don't use many of the attachments. Models like the Lady bug run about $700 and up. From what I've read, they are a TOTALLY different thing that the steam blaster. The steam is MUCH hotter, you can refill without cooling down, etc. I'm sure it would be great on mold and showers. Much more professional. I'd love one!! But for the money, the steam blaster is not bad. I hope that this helps.

• susanannsolo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the great tips!