Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jillypie_gw

Ghost Numbers on new car?

jillypie
17 years ago

I usually hang out at the kitchen Forum, but I bet my husband I could find the answer to his problem here. He bought a used car that when it is dry out, no fog etc, the windows look perfectly clear. But when there is fog or rain it is apparent that there are "ghost" numbers on almost all the windows- probably the price. The dealership or auction site must have used some special kind of marker. Anyway we can't seem to remove them- we even tried a razor blade. Any clue as to what kind of solvent we should use? TIA

Comments (7)

• kris_zone6
    17 years ago

Try WD-40. It may not work, but it won't hurt the windows.

• azzalea
    17 years ago

I'd try a little rubbing alchohol--it dissolves 'sticky' left behind from tape/stickers and it also can remove sharpie markers on some surfaces. Not to mention, it leaves glass sparkling (it's all I ever use to clean my windows). Just poor a little alcohol on a paper towel and while until it evaporates.

• kitchendetective
    17 years ago

I have no idea what the problem is, but how about using Goo Gone, followed by the dilute cornstarch in water trick that I heard about on this forum?

• bud_wi
    17 years ago

I just recently purchased an auto and noticed this same problem with my windows. It is NOT adhesive residue. The numerals seem to be dyed or stained into the glass itself. It becomes apparent when it is cold and foggy or raining.

Even the numerals and lettering from the little tag that that auto places put in the upper corner of the windshield when you get an oil changed, are visibly there whenever it is foggy or raining. It is those static stickers made from plastic that seem to have caused the problem, not the paper price sheet that they glue on the window.

I don't think the numbers will ever come out as I believe it is a chemical reaction with the glass.

I know that float glass, which has been around since the 50's has reside of tin on one side in the glass and it may be a reaction with the metal in the glass?

Some glass is chemicaly treated to make it stronger. Finished glass is dipped in sodium nitrate and then potassium nitrate at high temperatures displacing the ions. Maybe this later causes a static reaction with the plastic stickers?

There is a *new type* of glass that is made to cause sheeting in the rain, and is used in the automotive industry.

This glass had a coating of titanium dioxide and this causes a hydrophilic effect. I think that THIS is the cause of the problem. I think that the coating of titanium dioxide reacts with the plastic static stickers that auto dealers use, either the colorants in the plastic or the plastic itself.

Soooo, in other words, the glass itself is stained and those numbers and lettering will never be able to be removed. This is probably not a cleaning problem.

Maybe ask the qustion over in the Auto Forum here?

• drjinx
    17 years ago

No promises that this will work, but I would try using Rain-X on the windows. I had a boyfriend Rain-X a heart onto the rear windshield right before he broke up with me. That darn heart would keep reappearing for weeks afterwards in rain and fog (you can guess how this made me feel). I finally got out some Rain-X and redid the entire windshield to make it go away. So no promises on this working, but it seems to me that it might.

Jean Marie

• magnolias4ever
    17 years ago

Well, my husband used Mineral Spirits on my front windshield to cut all of the road film off of it. Then it put Rain-X on it. The Mineral Spirits made the windshield like a brand new one. The Rain-X is awesome too and helps to keep your windshield clean and clear.

Try some Mineral Spirits on a very small area and you'll be surprised at everything it takes off of your windshield -- all the road film, etc. I think this might work for your ghost letters too.

• mikie_gw
    17 years ago

Usually when a racer needs to write numbers or class on windows its the blott on white liquid shoe polish that nurses would use on their shoes. Which has wax & Lanolin(=sheep/wool body oil, keeps barnicles off your propeller, worlds best rustproofer).