Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katydid30

Backpack vacuum

katydid30
16 years ago

is there a backpack vacuum anyone has they would recommend or not recommend. I want one for residential use. thanks.

Comments (7)

• justjustin
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

A backpack vacuum is the next vacuum on my list to buy. I'm looking at one from Proteam as they seem to be the market leader on these. If you google them I think they have a website.

Justin

• lucky51
    16 years ago

Most backpack vacs are suction only. The reason they are good for commercial use is because companies will have there carpets shampoo cleaned more often so "suction only" works fine for that purpose. But for home use, where owners shampoo their carpets less and rely on a deep cleaning powerhead they might not be the best answer.

You can get a Dustcare Jet Pac for about $199.00. The pro teams are really good vacs. The Sierra model can be fitted with a powerhead which would be better suited for home use. However, they cost about $660.00.

• florabelle1
    16 years ago

I have the Oreck "Buster" that I found at an estate sale for $5.00 with a whole bunch of attachments. It's the one that comes as a bonus with Oreck upright vacs (I don't have one of those). I think this little Buster is fabulous!

It's advertised as having enough suction to pick up a bowling ball. I haven't tried that but it sure has powerful suction. I use it at least once a day. Don't know how I lived all those years without it.

You can find them on eBay.

Florabelle1

• graywings123
    16 years ago

florabelle - is this a backpack vacuum?

• geguymw
    16 years ago

The Oreck Buster B is not a backpack vacuum, but a handheld super compact vacuum cleaner. They were first offered to Oreck customers free with purchase of their upright.

They are not that great. They are fantastic for the used price of $5 though. My question to florabelle is would you pay the asking price of $200 for it, plus the price of $15+ for very small paper bags? The hose has a tendency of coming out of the vacuum, plus the bags are very small and expensive.

If you really like this style, look to Tacony's FastVac for about $80. It can also be found as the Riccar SupraQuik and its sister brand the Simplicity Sport.

Here is a link that might be useful: Riccar Supraquik

• florabelle1
    16 years ago

While the Oreck Buster B (also called the XL) is designated as a 'handheld', it has a strap so the vacuum can be worn while leaving both hands free, backpack style. There is no need to hold on to anything other than what is needed to guide the hose & tool. It comes with a very long cord which is quite handy, and just about every tool and extension wands ever needed.

There are a couple of different models of it (more models than what the photos show) but they all take the same bags (the Buster "B" bags).

Some photos:

http://i8.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/d8/80/2895_1.JPG
    http://i15.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/d6/cd/de5e_1.JPG

I'm not selling any, I don't sell vacuums and I'm not affiliated with Oreck in any way other than as a user.
    If you just want a backpack style for doing bare floors this is a real good one for not much money. Since they come free with Oreck models and are not sold separately (that I know of) you can find used ones in great condition very inexpensively. They are quite a popular item on a certain large auction site. :-)

I keep mine plugged in in my laundry room and I use it to vacuum out the dryers lint trap of stuff I canÂt get out with my fingers. It will reach into my bathroom from there, where I use it to vacuum up hairs out of the tub & sink as well as the floor. ItÂs nice for picking up spilled powder and that toilet paper lint that gets everywhere.

I use it to vacuum out the strainer and the drain pan inside my dishwasher of the crud that gets caught in them. I also use it to vacuum out the crud that might get left in the tub of the washing machine (I have very hairy dogs).

I bought a round horsehair brush at a vacuum shop for $3.00 that fits on it and I use it to dust picture frames and lampshades, as well as the keyboard of my computer and the cloth coverings of my stereo speakers. ItÂs great for getting cobwebs out of corners up near the ceiling. ItÂs also nice to use on the ceiling fan blades and lights. I use it to vacuum curtains, drapes and on top of their rods.

I use the crevice tool to vacuum in the creases of my seating furniture. I use it to vacuum the cloth liner of my leather sofa that the cushions sit on. ItÂs also great for getting under the furniture that has legs & feet.

I use it to vacuum out the windowsills & the bottom tracks  gets dirt, dust and dead insects. With the horsehair brush attachment itÂs perfect for vacuuming out the dust that collects in the window screens.

I use it to vacuum the top of my mattress when I have a bed stripped.

ItÂs great for doing my bare floors, even the big flat-pile area rugs.

I have so many uses for it I donÂt know how I lived all those decades without it. It sure beats lugging around a full-sized canister or an upright. With such a long cord (I believe itÂs 20Â) you have a long range from where itÂs plugged in.

It comes Âfree with an Oreck full-size vac but if you donÂt want to buy one of those the Âbackpack style is quite popular on a certain large auction site for a range of prices, often barely used and some times in brand new condition.

Florabelle1

• betsyhac
    13 years ago

I have a Proteam Sierra. Unfortunately, the company that sold it to me gave me the wrong attachments (not incl power head). When I complained, they said they'd exchange, but in the meantime, my puppy used them for chewtoys, so I'm stuck, unless I want to buy new tools, which I may investigate - it's on the list. I do like having a backpack, and it does work well, but is it worth $700? I don't know that I think that it is. If, however, it lasts a long time . . . I've had mine for about a year. People here rave about Miele, but it, too, is $700. Problem is, most of my research showed that other brands might start out strong, but then ended up with mechanical issues within a short amount of time. It was hard to find the Sierra. I would suggest you find one and try it in the store, comparing it to other models. I wish I would have done this. Also, the Sierra is kinda big, but emptying the bag more often is a pain, too. If you consider a smaller model, be sure to look at the price and availability of bags. They're expensive.