Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
cleaning glass range tops

Posted by alzhi1 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 21:24

After a year of using expensive cleaners, scrubbing my fingers off and no doubt absorbing many dangerous chemicals, I suddenly remembered how I had always cleaned regular stove-top rings, racks, etc. I would put them in a plastic bag, pour in about a half-cup of ammonia, tie the bag and leave it overnight -- either in the sink or on the back porch. In the morning the grease and burnt materials were easily removed with just a light pass of an SOS pad. So one night I poured about a quarter cup of ammonia on to my glass range top, spread it evenly around and covered it lightly with saran wrap. In the morning I easily wiped off most of the residue with paper towel and used a glass scraper (razor blade type) to get rid of a few more stubborn charred bits (be sure that there is some liquid, either ammonia or water under the blade, i.e., don't use the blade on a dry surface. I had come to hate the glass top because of the difficulty of cleaning it but now it's no problem. Just remember: don't let bleach come in contact with ammonia as it will create a poisonous gas.


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: cleaning glass range tops

Hi Alzhi,

I saw an entry about just this subject on Pinerest today. The writer filled a pan/dish with warm soapy water and wrung out a cloth in it until it was sorta spongy (not too wet). She laid the cloth on top of the glass and let it sit there for a while to soften the spills. Then she took baking SODA and sprinkled it on quite heavily. She used circular motions to wipe up the baking soda and was very pleased to see that the glass was completely clean. This might be a good alternative because there is no strong chemicals to worry about.


 o
RE: cleaning glass range tops

Both methods sound great. I know I use Ammonia to clean burned pots. I buy cheap store brand "sudsy lemon" ammonia for about $1-$2 a bottle, pour it into the burnt pot, put on the lid and hide it for 24 hours. The next day, most of the crud is liquified, the rest comes off easily with Brillo or SOS. Again, I don't mix with other cleaners.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here