Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alzhi1

cleaning glass range tops

alzhi1
11 years ago

After a year of using expensive cleaners, scrubbing my fingers off and no doubt absorbing many dangerous chemicals, I suddenly remembered how I had always cleaned regular stove-top rings, racks, etc. I would put them in a plastic bag, pour in about a half-cup of ammonia, tie the bag and leave it overnight -- either in the sink or on the back porch. In the morning the grease and burnt materials were easily removed with just a light pass of an SOS pad. So one night I poured about a quarter cup of ammonia on to my glass range top, spread it evenly around and covered it lightly with saran wrap. In the morning I easily wiped off most of the residue with paper towel and used a glass scraper (razor blade type) to get rid of a few more stubborn charred bits (be sure that there is some liquid, either ammonia or water under the blade, i.e., don't use the blade on a dry surface. I had come to hate the glass top because of the difficulty of cleaning it but now it's no problem. Just remember: don't let bleach come in contact with ammonia as it will create a poisonous gas.

Comments (2)