Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_bc

Cleaning *Webs* from High Ceilings

holly_bc
18 years ago

I'm seeing webby/dust motey things on my high windows & high corners on my ceilings. Y'all with the high ceiling dilemna, how do you clean them? Is there some kind of telescoping pole or something similar you can buy? It's tiring to haul out a ladder and even then some areas are still not reachable.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments (12)

• holly_bc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks TJ. I've bought a telescoping extension pole with a *screw* type head or end so one can attach pieces to it. However I've not yet found a mop head to use with it. Does O'Cedar make such a thing do you know? I've not been able to find any of their products here but DH is in the US right now so if I knew what to ask him to find, he might be able to bring one home for me. Any ideas?
    TIA

• akastj_northern_ca
    18 years ago

Holly_BC,

I originally purchased one of those at Lowe's, however I had the same problem and returned it. Although you can buy cleaning systems from Front Gate or commercial cleaning supply stores, I didn't want to spend $80+ for it... ;-)

TJ

• pcj42
    18 years ago

I make my husband get the ladder out and clean it. I didn't want the high ceiling for this very same reason, but since he did, he has to do it. However, admittingly, it is sometimes hard to get him to do it, so I got a long PVC electrical pipe the would fit on the end of the shop-vac and vacuum them down.

I even bought the Dyson Vacuum cleaner because it had such a long hose, that I thought that would do it. But because of the design, you can't raise that up to reach it either. I guess it only works good for stairs.

I don't know when women are going to start designing things that actually work for them. I think men design products that they don't even use.

• housenewbie
    18 years ago

Men are into power tools. A vacuum is a power tool. Therefore, men should be the ones to vacuum. And iron, for that matter.

Q.E.D.

• holly_bc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. We'll be into cleaning now that January has arrived so we'll see how this works out. :-))

• sheilajoyce_gw
    18 years ago

I found a telescoping set of plastic poles years ago with a feather duster on the top. I have since replaced the duster, but it works well.

• earthworm
    18 years ago

pcj saith ...:...I don't know when women are going to start designing things that actually work for them. I think men design products that they don't even use.
    This statement is all too true, has been since the dawn of time, but with more woman engineers being graduated, things should improve a little...

On the cob-webs, as far as I am concerned, as long as the spiders pay their taxes and control themselves, they can stay..And I spend as little time as possible looking for them..

• njcher
    18 years ago

I use the brush with which I clean dryer vents. It's long and also has a long brush. I knock off the dust and spray it with vinegar on each swipe because this dissuades spiders from building webs, or so my husband says.

Cher

• twor
    18 years ago

Get a damp towel or washcloth, wad it up and throw it up to catch the cobwebs. We used to have lots of fun doing this when our kids were younger!

• lisa77429
    18 years ago

Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a swimming pool telescoping pole - under $20.00. Duct tape a dry rag to it. My ceilings are 24' and that's what I have done before. I even took my old telescopic pole, painted it and turned it into a curtain rod for a really long window. Was stronger than average curtain rods plus measuring was a snap (laughing).

• bodiCA
    18 years ago

30 years cleaning spider webs in the barn, I only remove with vac as I have been bitten too many times. Additional lengths are cheap to find used and adjust to needed height. Also use a reclining lawn chair to save my neck as each stall takes more time than I can ask of my neck. I never use those sprays as spiders remove many other insects.

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor