Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
keep couch smell refreshing???

Posted by chueh (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 5, 08 at 21:02

What do you recommend to keep a couch smell good and refreshing? OK, I mean, we laundry our clothes, sheets, and everything that's changeable. I don't like slip cover, so i cannot laundry the couch. Even if I put a slip cover over it, the entire couch still does not smell good, after so many sittings. Anything to keep the couch smell refreshing, preferably in organic ways??? I don't like the air refreshner, which makes me cough.....

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: keep couch smell refreshing???

I like Febreeze, it doesn't go in the air so it shouldn't make you cough.

o

Professional cleaning on a regular basis is the best way to combat odor in fabrics. Then there's the ounce of prevention thing...

If you regularly eat while sitting on the couch, or if your couch is exposed to cooking or pet odors, it will absorb those smells, as well as from the oils from your hands and bare feet. That's right, bare feet are oily and smells and bacteria attach to them and transfer to fabric. Fabrics and the materials upholstered furniture are stuffed with, can hold not only odors, but bacteria, which causes odors, as well. Then there's the all-time problem of dust mites!

-Grainlady

o

Thank you for the answers. I don't think that I can afford professional cleaning. Is there any way I can do that's close to professional cleaning? Our couch is ok clean, because we don't have kids eating on it, or pets sitting in it. I vacuum it, yet I know that it does not help getting rid of the smell. The problem is that my husband works at a restaurant. After time he comes home, I can smell a super strong odor of oil, smoke, and everything combined on him. Taking a shower does not get rid of the restaurant smell entirely. I can smell his flesh and bone with the restaurant odor......

Ok, so he sits in the couch, before taking a shower. Well, a lot of times, he lies in the couch, before a shower. The couch smell exactly the same as his cloth, although it is less strong.

o

He needs to shower as soon as he comes home. Wash his clothes with vinegar and a bit of bleach to kill some of the odor, but you really need a professional cleaning on the couch and then he has to commit to showering before he sits to solve your problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here