Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best way to wash dog bedding?

Posted by brendainnj (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 6, 09 at 21:01

Hi, I'm new here, and not sure if this is the best place to post this. I also tried the pet forum. How does everyone wash their pets' bedding? I used to throw mine in my top loader, it was pretty easy to wipe (or vacuum) out the dog hair when it finished. Now that I've invested a small fortune in a front-loader, I am loathe to ruin it with dog hair. There's enough dog hair on our clothes, let alone putting in the dog's bed. I have a lab who sheds almost constantly. I can't afford to replace his bed every time it's dirty, and it seems silly to go to the laundromat for 1 item. The vacuum doesn't take out enough of the hair either, I've tried. I'm not even sure there is a solution, just curious what everyone else does. Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best way to wash dog bedding?

I throw mine in the front loader, but first I do one of three things:

- run the vacuum cleaner over it,
- quickly go over it by hand with a brush to remove hair, or
- throw it in the dryer for 20 minutes on air dry.

o

Would you consider trying a shedding tool on your dog? I've had a black lab, so I know what you're up against.

I have two cats now and use a furminator on them, especially in spring shedding season.

It's easy to use, it pulls the dead fur out of their coats *before* it has a chance to get stuck on your furniture.

Not the answer you were looking for, but it's definitely worth trying. You'll be amazed.

Here is a link that might be useful: furminator videos, etc.

o

Cryptandrus, thank you...no it's not the answer I was looking for, but I knew there was no simple solution! But, I've never heard of the furminator before! I'd love to order one now but might wait until after Christmas, just because it is kind of pricey.

And the idea about throwing it in the dryer is good too.

Thanks everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here