Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliceinmd

Insides of car windows

aliceinmd
15 years ago

Do any of you have a really good way to clean the insides of car windows? They seem to attract something that makes them very difficult to clean thoroughly.

We used to use Dripless Windex and Bounty paper towels, a combination that leaves a nasty residue that glares when bright sunlight or headlights shine on it. We have started using Invisible Glass and microfiber cloths with somewhat better results, but we're hoping for a better method. Any ideas?

Comments (11)

• xine
    15 years ago

I have the same problem, as does most everyone with a car! The plastics and other materials in the vehicle's interior give off a compound that sticks to the inside of the window and causes that film.

I noticed that the car washes in my area have been using a foam window cleaner instead of a liquid, plus a terry towel. So, I switched to Zep brand foam window cleaner (available at Home Depot) and it works pretty good.

• patser
    15 years ago

I use white vinegar and newspaper on all windows - cars, house windows, mirrors. Because newsprint gets on one's hands, I always wear rubber gloves. Vinegar cuts through all the gunk and newspaper doesn't allow for lint.

• michelle_phxaz
    15 years ago

Patser is right, vinegar will cut the film, but you may have to clean it a few times before all the film is gone, especially if your windows are especially dirty. Rubbing alcohol is also a good grease cutter.

Don't use anything but newspaper to clean it, cloth or paper towels will leave a film or lint on the windows but newspaper won't leave either.

• lindac
    15 years ago

Rubbing alcohol on a soft cloth cuts through the gook and doesn't leave streaks....but don't drip any on any wood trim...or if you do wipe it up quickly.
    I always thought it was "people dirt" on the insides of car windows...breath and vaporized skin oils etc...
    Sounds better to know that it's related to the upholstery etc.
    Linda C

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

My all purpose cleaner is a "homebrew" of 50/50 alcohol/water. Combined with a microfiber towel, it will do a great job on the inside of your car windows. Cleaned mine just last week.

• jannie
    15 years ago

The absolute best "cloth" for cleaning windows,mirrors, glass of all kinds is plain white tissue paper. I stock up when I find it in those dollar stores, Newsprint is okay, but the ink comes off on my hands.

• michelle_phxaz
    15 years ago

Ikea wraps their items in blank newsprint, I always grab some extra when I check out for this purpose.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

What is "blank" "newsprint"? It seems like an oxymoron. Does it say 'blank' on it as a novelty?

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

Blank newsprint is unprinted newspaper paper. You can buy it in bulk too, from moving suppliers. Oddly enough it is called newsprint even when it's blank.

DH is sold on cleaning windows with newspaper too, but whenever he does that they get totally smeared up.

I'm starting to wonder about those C-fold paper towels used in restrooms. You can buy them in bulk at Costco.

• arleneb
    15 years ago

The local newspaper in my old hometown sold "roll ends" of blank newsprint -- when it got too low on the roll, it wouldn't feed through the machinery so they sold it -- lots of moms bought it for kids' art projects. You might check local newspaper printers -- maybe those who publish the freebie local weeklies.

• jenica
    15 years ago

They have this leather mop thingy that is great for wiping the film off windows and for in between cleanings. They have it at Walmart. It's a circle about 5 or 6 inches diameter and it is strung with a bunch of pieces of tan leather. It sells for a couple bucks I think. You just wipe the window with it and it removes any film or dirt that's there. It's good for wiping foggy windows too. I clean my car windows with alcohol also but the window mop is great for a quick swipe when I'm on the road. I keep it in my glove compartment.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!