Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beenie130

Construction adhesive on skin

beenie130
16 years ago

Does anyone know how to get construction adhesive off skin? I have it on my hands and it is taking days to peel off.

Thanks

Comments (17)

• bestyears
    16 years ago

Have you tried nail polish remover? Then apply lots of hand cream as soon as you get the adhesive off, otherwise your hands will be super dry...
    Lynn

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    16 years ago

Were I to have this problem I would start by trying WD-40 then, as suggested for nail polish remover wash and apply a hand cream.

• jannie
    16 years ago

My Dad used to swear by a product called DL Hand Cleaner. He learned of this product from an auto mechanic friend. It's main ingredient is lanolin. Has a nice smell. I don't know who makes it, this is not spam.

• jobird
    16 years ago

The tube of Liquid Nails construction adhesive says:

Clean wet adhesive with mineral spirits or toluene.Remove dry adhesive by scraping.

Construction adhesive is very difficult to remove once it drys on your skin;now two of us have confirmed that ;)

• horsefarm
    16 years ago

COnstruction adhesive is BAD stuff. My husband got some on his little finger several years ago. That patch of skin is still not right. It's like ti suffered a chemical burn.

So, make sure you get it off and don't leave it too long!

• thotrum_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I realize I'm almost 3 years late on this, but for anyone coming here in the future, WD-40 works magically for this! Guaranteed.

• steves_fltg_ent
    12 years ago

ON the liquid nails site it said to rub the area (a lot) with mineral oil. I used baby oil and a pumice stone and then washed with liquid soap repeated 4 times and got it all!

• kvat888_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

well, I must say, I've tried just about everything. The WD-40 doesn't work, I tried Oops! remover. nothing. gojo seemed to work the best, but don't think that it did the trick because it didn't. I guess I'll just lok like a slob for the next few days, until monday when I use the stuff again.

• Potluck45
    9 years ago

Found the solution quite by accident. Construction adhesive PL from lowes. Big patch on both hands.
    Wear nitrile glove/s overnight. Your hands sweat and it comes right off right down to the pores :)

Tried everything to dissolve it. Nothing worked. But the project also called for pouring concrete and I wore nitrile gloves under the work gloves. Took them off at lunch and it was falling off.

• Mark K
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We used Dawn liquid soap and sugar, but the real trick was to use a soft pumice stone. I will always wear gloves in the future!

• tam1mom
    7 years ago

Husband used Avon skin so soft and scrubbed it came off easily

• Hardeep Sidhu
    7 years ago

one word - GASOLINE - works the 1st and every time. clean your hands of glue in 5-7 seconds

• Deborah Lynn Wilson
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Three words Hardeep Sidhu - DOESN'T ALWAYS WORK - my friend tried GASOLINE first & it done nothing.

• Stephanie Mcmahon
    7 years ago

Wax equipment cleaner from a beauty store ☺️

• omargunn
    3 years ago

I used Kleen Strip Oderless Mineral Spirits and scrubed with regular dish scrub sponge (the green kind, not the blue scratch less ones). And washed with regular hand soap and it came off.

• Lauren Nischan
    2 years ago

Gasoline. Works every time. My dad got it on his skin - soap and water didn't work, nail polish remover kind of worked. So long as it's not completely, totally dry - gasoline.