Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
infohound2006

Is this a scam? Astrovac vs Vacu-Maid 2600?

infohound2006
14 years ago

Hi folks,

I really need advice (and a sympathetic ear)! We've planned a central vacuum system with a hide-a-hose (HAH). I'd originally spec'd a Vacu-Maid S2600 because of its power. Today the installer came and hung onto the wall an AstroVac instead, claiming that that's an improved model, same company, and, because of the filter, will be better for my allergies.

I didn't pay, I'd said I need to look it up and compare. And I think I may be getting bait-and-switch:

-The S2600 is a true cyclonic , with a Premier 7.2" 2-stage tangential by-pass motor, max 10,000 sq ft, while

-the Astrovac SR-14 is a filtered cyclonic with inverted bag, with an Ultra "5.7" 2-stage by-pass motor, max 6,000 sq ft.

Many features are similar, but the VacuMaid's S2600 motor is definitely bigger, though the max air-watts are bigger on the S-14 (725 vs. 631). My impression was that on a HAH system, especially where all the pipes first have to go up 1.5 or 2.5 stories up into the attic, I need a true cyclonic, with the biggest motor I can reasonably get. That's why we'd gone with the VacuMaid S2600.

Interestingly, the guy forgot to mention that

the Vacu-Maid S2600's MSRP is $950,

while the Astrovac SR-14's MSRP is $600.

So, can you give me a sanity check? What is better for our 3,300 sq ft house with its multi-story HAH installation?

Should I have the guy take down the AstroVac and install the Vacu-Maid that's in the contract, or thank him for finding a fine, cheaper alternative, (and asking for a $250 credit).

Here is a link that might be useful: Vacu-Maid S2600 technical specs.

Comments (3)