Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pjalst_gw

Hard time keeping Stainless steel Appliances clean?

pjalst
19 years ago

I after trying to clean my stainless Steel refrigerator with numerous cleaning products, I think I've finally found a winner. A product call "Zep" foaming citrus cleaner & degreaser works the best. After using other products, I found that they still left visable fingerprint smugges and streaks. Zep even cleaned better than a product that was specifically marketed as a stainless steel cleaner. I don't know where they sell it, my wife picked up a can in our neighborhood dollar store. They don't usually carry it.

Comments (135)

• BriosaFarm
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sheesh....can't believe that after all these years (and after reading this old thread a long time ago) it took me so long to try Dirtex. Epiphany! Now I can't say that something else that took off all the old polish and oils and left a streak-free finish couldn't have done the same thing. All I know is that I was in Lowe's, remembered to get a can of Dirtex spray foam and went over my fridge, d/w, ovens, and trash compactor with Dirtex and a clean microfiber cloth (took a couple of times to get all the old oily polish off) and it is spotless, streak free and so far, hubby's fingerprints and doggy nose art at the bottom are not leaving their usual evidence! I can touch it and rub it and it doesn't leave a mark, and when there is one it takes about a tenth of the time it used to, to wipe it down. Looks better than it has for years. Feel like a dummy. DIRTEX rules! ;~)

• moonlitmagnolia
    13 years ago

Microfibre! Microfibre! Microfibre!!!

Thank you sooooooo much for the invaluable advice flicek and lily313!

We just installed four new stainless steel appliances yesterday. After all was said and done, the exterior of the fridge needed to be cleaned, so I grabbed the bottle of stainless steel cleaner (Cerama Bryte) that I so smugly purchased in advance of the delivery of the appliances. EEEEEK! Streaks everywhere!

I started googling and found this string of suggestions. I tried Windex, which to my chagrin, also left streaks. I was also concerned about the long-term effects of the chemicals on the stainless steel.

I didn't have any of the other mentioned products on hand, but I, like flicek, had also been to a Norwex home party and was aware of the benefits of microfibre. I had a brand new package of microfibre cloths that I had purchased cheaply at Canadian Tire in my linen closet. I saturated one with water, then wrung it out so that it was merely damp. I wiped the fridge in the direction of the grains with the damp cloth, then polished similarly with the dry cloth...it was magic!!!!! Not one single streak remained on the fridge, and I don't have to worry about what the chemicals may do to the stainless steel over time.

I will retain the stainless steel cleaner I purchased to clean buildups/cooking splatters on the surfaces of the appliances, then follow-up with the microfibre cloths for the final polish.

Thanks again flicek and lily313 - you're my heroes!

One final comment: As lily313 noted above, make sure you do not use fabric softener or dryer sheets when washing your microfibre cloths as they will leave a residue that will transfer to the items you're cleaning. Microfibre cloths are also wonderful for cleaning glass and mirrors. Try 'em - you'll love 'em!

• Gina_W
    13 years ago

I moved into a new house and noticed the SS fridge was dingy - I thought, "oh heck!" I had purchased some Softscrub with Lemon to clean my old place, and noticed it cleaned the SS sink really well.

So I tried it on this fridge and all the "dinginess" came off - it looks like new now. So happy! I used a soft cloth and dampened it, applied the Softscrub and rubbed the dinginess away. Then rinsed with a wet cloth and finally dried it with a fresh clean dry towel. It sounds like a lot of work - and it was, but I only had to do that one time. Now I keep the fridge clean with a damp cloth. But if you have any SS needing serious cleaning, try this.

The Softscrub web site mentions SS as one of the surfaces to use this product on.

I used to use Barkeeper's Friend and that works too, but it's messy so the liquid Softscrub is now my replacement for BF.

• pwriter
    13 years ago

I've tried all the suggestions and nothing has worked to keep or make my refrigerator streak-free. I have to think the problem lies with the manufacturer for those of us who cannot get relief. My Maytag refrigerator is only 18 months old and I am faced with replacing both doors to the tune of $1100. Instead I'd like to hear which SS refrigerators have the fewest problems with streaking. Please give suggestions before I buy another one!

• westvillager
    13 years ago

My Sub Zero is almost three years old. It looks like a lot of folks here use a polish, but oil-based cleaners left a build-up and streaked too easily over time no matter how little was used. I started asking it be cleaned with mild dish soap and warm water (to remove the residue) and a week later it looked awesome. We used a window spray from then which was great. About a month ago, I found a product from Carbona (it's blue like Windex) that's really worked well. They have a polish too but yuck.

• jollyrd
    13 years ago

I like our SS refrigerator and stove. Dishwasher is white, it came with the house and I have no desire to "match" it. To me, the importance in life is to enjoy the food we make for ourself and family/friends when they come, not trying to make refrigerator "look perfect". When I cook and my fingers are messy, I just open the fridge door b.c I need to get something. More important aspect in the kitchen is the layout and convenience of counters/storage/equipment. I wipe the SS surface of fridge and stove maybe twice a year, whereas I pay more attention to keeping clean the counters, inside of the fridge, cooking surface of the stove and inside of the oven - that's where the food actually goes/kept in. Who cares for fingerprints except for criminal investigator? Being green and clean is taking so much time and effort of your lives that we forget how to enjoy good quality time.

like scalett said, "to each his own".

• Gina_W
    13 years ago

The fridge in my new home is an Amana - it's not a very good fridge - temp zones are iffy (I've frozen veggies and I'm not happy about that), icemaker touchy, etc. My last fridge was a Frigidaire side-by-side counter-depth with a brushed SS finish - this finish never streaked and was easy to clean.

• franci37
    13 years ago

I clean houses. The BEST for stainless steel appliances is Weiman SS spray. Tried all the others. Highly recommend this product.

• pauline13
    13 years ago

I have all stainless steel appliances and a husband who never met the door handle on a refrigerator. Our fridge is brushed stainless, but don't kid yourself--it can show fingerprints. The sales clerk recommended Weiman's SS Cleaner and Polish. It does make it look nice except for one problem. Water running down the outside of the door from the water dispenser would leave what appeared to be a permanent streak going down the front of the door. Going over the door with the Weiman polish would not remove that streak. I eventually solved the problem by using a cleaner (such as 409) to remove all the polish from the doors. Once I did that, the streak disappeared. I then went over the doors with a glass cleaner, but I have found that plain old water works just as well. I no longer use a stainless cleaner on any of my appliances except for my range top and I have no problem keeping my fridge free of fingerprints and water drip lines.

• pjalst
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I stopped using cleaners also after I found that hot water and a microfiber rag works very well. Save your money. On occassion use a polish every now and then, but for daily cleanups, use the a microfiber towel and water.

• woolley63_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I don't know why everyone is so complimentary about Stainless Steel Magic. I used the wipes on my SS fridge and it left a foggy haze that I could not get off. I thought it was ruined. Finally I resorted to the baby oil, which did work like magic. SS Magic, no magic here just a smoke screen, I want my money back!

• mikie_gw
    13 years ago

Be suprized how well WD-40 cleans range tops. Imagine works well on refridges too.

• ncgrube_hughes_net
    13 years ago

I have searched high and low for a way to remove the streaks, which were progressively getting worse from attempts to remove them,from my SS appliances. I had some Barkeepers Friend in the house and decided to give it a try. WOW!!!! Best streak remover ever and I can't make a fingerprint on the front of my refrig. Finally a solution that will now allow me to just wipe smudges and goo off with a damp cloth and dry with a microfiber cloth. Now I can stop kicking myself for buying SS when I redid my kitchen. Thank you, thank you.

• glrnelson_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

Very interesting to read all the posts here on the various recommendations, thought I should through in my 2 cents:
    I have worked in the pharmaceutical business for 30 years and most likely cleaned more SS in one month then you all will do in your lifetime. I have worked with SS and built clean rooms at grand scales and here are some points that you may (or may not) know:
    1- SS comes in a variety of grades, from 200 series, to the 300 series. 301 stainless steel is an austenitic grade, where 304 moves far up the ladder,, to 316 grade which is what I have worked with most my life. You will most likely not find this on any appliances for homes mostly due to the cost, but this leads me to point 2,
    2- Be careful what you clean with! Because I was in a clean room operation, you can only imagine the level of cleaning that goes on in here- rotating cleaners!! But two cleaners used all around, bleach and ammonia. Regardless of what you may think about the strength of SS, I have seen 316 SS being torn apart by the cleaners ( and we didn�t even use them at high concentrations, diluted to 3%), and I can assure you that the best SS on your alliance is 304, or most likely 301 (an austenitic grade).
    3- Water is not just water, the amount of TDS in your water there at home may have a major affect on your cleaning (streaking). People with water softeners do have an advantage, keeping quality bottled water around for your appliances is a smart move.
    4- Pastes or creams, two cleaners given High marks on this site are ZUD, and Bar keepers. Well does anyone even know what�s in this stuff? It is Oxalic acid- http://whatsinproducts.com/search_ingredients_result.php They are really using the same chemical so you can�t be saying that one is doing better than the other. 3,000 time stronger than acetic acid- NICE! You should check out the other cleaners as well.
    Stainless Steel Magic- http://www.homaxproducts.com/MSDS/pdf/magic_pdf/msds-ss64.pdf they are using a glycol!!~3%, why not just use baby oil if that�s the case?
    ZEP? Their using ethanol alcohol! Go buy your own and save some cash! 10%
    5- Oils and WD-40, moments of immediate gratifications to their initial application but more harm in the long run. Look good? Sure they do, but only a mask causing trapped moisture to the SS surface. Not a good thing in the longer picture, more problem to come!
    Going to stop here with the band-aids,
    So this is what I would recommend (as some already noted):
    Daily- GOOD water (HEATED slightly) and a micro cloth, one for application and one for wiping. They are very cheap now and should be tossed (do not wash and reuse!) Trade the drying towel if you must for the application. I realize that the "glow" of the pledge thing may not be there but you will get years off the fine finish w/o pitting or slight discoloration.
    If you just have to have the look due to a party or guests, pledge is the ticket,,, simple immediate gratification- but remove it ASAP!
    Cleaners- because the finish on all appliances and the metal used are so much different, to say what works on one is just not the same to others. I would recommend Bar keeper�s, mostly due to minimal additives and less corrosiveness to the SS. KEEP in mind that these, or any cleaners should be only used as a supplement- meaning once or twice a month, that�s it- no daily or weekly application. We used these cleaners once every 6 months because we knew what they did to the finish. And don�t do the windex/WD40 thing. Your cleaning and using something you have no knowledge of. Keep it simple

• kristin_tyler_comcast_net
    13 years ago

I have cleaned houses in the past and we would spray with windex and wipe clean. Following this we would put a little bit of baby oil on a rag and wipe it on. Leaves a wonderful shine and a great smell behind.

• joflesher_stny_rr_com
    13 years ago

After reading the various posts, I bought Sprayway at Sam's Club today. It is the best product I've used. I've tried many of the other products mentioned (SS Magic, Easy Off SS Cleaner, Carbona SS Cleaner) with no success and I am thrilled to have found something that works so instantly and easily. It doesn't matter what direction you wipe, it puts a lovely no streak shine on instantly. I only used a paper towel. It's really a great product. I highly recommend it. The only minus is that it has a rather strong smell, but I can live with that more than the smears, smudges and streaks!

• tracy_pilson_gmail_com
    13 years ago

We bought a floor model Kitchenaid refrigerator. I wasn't going to buy it unless they could get all the fingerprints and smears off the front. The owner of the store used Goo Gone to clean it and it worked like magic.

• michael_michaelfargo_com
    12 years ago

Okay. Here's the deal (and I promise this will work because I was a big doubter). I've read this forum for about a year and tried various products. (I've had stainless steel for decades, but only recently have had BIG trouble with Samsung appliances, specifically the refrigerator, dishwasher and range doors.) At Christmas I purchased Cuisinart stainless cookware for a new Samsung induction range. Cuisinart recommended keeping the pots "like new" with a product called BarKeeper's friend. It works like a dream on the cookware, so rereading this thread, a lightbulb clicked on. I dropped what I was doing grabbed the liquid (which specifically states not to use on brushed stainless steel, but frankly nothing could make the refrigerator door look any worse.) Guess what? The appliance looks brand new!

What I discovered was a black tarnish that had interacted with various cleaning products and oxidized with the air. The many products we've tried had "sealed" the tarnish and made it impossible to clean. But a metal cleaner/polish like Barkeeper's Friend made all the streaks, smudges, fingerprints disappear.

The problem with oil-based products is there is a build up. So decades of experience steered me away from that. I have a partner however who wouldn't believe me. Stainless steel is a metal, and it shouldn't "tarnish" but something oxidzed on the face of the fridge. BarKeeper's friend stripped it down to the metal (you could smell it). After applying the liquid and scrubbing with a paper towel, following the grain of the brushed steel, I took a large sham-wow and wiped off the residue, then with a microcloth rubbed until the surface was dry. It looked even better than when it was new. (Thinking, the blue plastic that protected the new appliance may also have contributed to the problem in some way.)

But my advice is forego any oil-based product (you'll have to scrub it off eventually due to build up). And try a fine-grade metal polish. I can't speak more highly of BarKeeper's friend.

• merc1100sc_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Used the ELCO cleaner that came with our new stainless kenmore appliances and it left a black oil like residue that will not come off. Scared to try the barkeepers friend due to the frisge being a couple weeks old. Will the sprayway remove it?

• blairgirl
    12 years ago

I posted on this before, but I have another stainless story.

I was in hospital for three months. Meanwhile, my husband and kids had full run of the house. Needless to say, no one was cleaning the s/s appliances.

You should've SEEN that fridge! Months of spills, drips, fingerprints, dust, and grease from frying (hubby's a big fry fan) made it a disgusting mess.

I'm on a limited schedule, but I couldn't sit there and LOOK at it. I have an aerosol container of Dirtex. I sprayed it, and it foams up. I gave it a good five minutes to work, then wiped it off.

I'm sitting here now, basking in the soft glow of a completely clean and streak-free stainless fridge! It worked, ZERO effort.

I also recommend barkeeper's friend, but for fast and clean, nothing beats Dirtex spray.

• siegelLCSW_aol_com
    12 years ago

I tried all the above cleaners...just me and husband make water streaks. Decided I had enough never looked at my old white door. Hung up a big hand made cork board on door and now looking at grandchildrens pictures again. Problem is surface is blank and all metals oxidize different qualities worse Kitchenaide worst of my 3 Fisher Paytel and Themador do not streak...nor does my coffee maker with all its steam and drips...I am just washing door now kind of created overall streaky look like my sink but shiny and clean using pinesol or any all surface cleaner. I would not buy them again because function is most important I use my kitchen hard love to cook. Probably the restaurants like it because sanitary and bet commercial grade really good. BTW doubt anyone has commercial grade in home.

• dorry2
    12 years ago

ANyone tried using Perfect Stainless Steel spray?

• mfkrenson
    12 years ago

My fiend's housekeeper gave me her secret - WD-40! I have been using it since then - much better than the products labeled for stainless. Put small amount of WD-40 on a clean soft rag and rub in the direction of the grain.

• lorip93_whatever_com
    12 years ago

I bought a SS cleaner that did clean, but you really had to buff it too much to have it not streak. Plus it had way too strong of a chemical smell, and left an oily residue. And, if you splatted any water on it at all, the residue it left behind (that's supposed to repel fingerprints) turned this greasy white look. I tried alchol...it cleaned, but was VERY streaky, no matter how much I buffed. Vinegar had the same affect as alcohol, plus smells terrible. I tried 'Pledge', but it also left a little of an oily residue, and wasn't streak free.

Soooo, I said to myself, what about good old fashioned dish soap. I know it will clean it because it's a degreaser, but will it sparkle and be streak free..... YES!!! It cleans, is streak free, and shines (instead of the oily residue most SS cleaners leave). Just make sure not to put too much soap on your sponge or cloth so you won't have to rinse too much. I only had to rinse once because after I rinsed the soap off of the cloth, I kept the cloth pretty wet for wiping the soap off of the 'fridge. Then I dried it with a soft cloth to make sure it wouldn't streak.

So there you have it. But some SS finishes on appliances are different than others. I just know it works on mine.

~Lori

• ommajed97_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Tried apple cider vinegar on a micro-fiber cloth...worked great!I try to use the natural stuff whenever possible. They often work better than those nasty chemicals.
    ...Barbara

• monichamorg_aol_com
    12 years ago

I bought a Samsung SS fridge and the surface is impossible to keep up ! I never won't ss again !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jhalcott_sbcglobal_net
    12 years ago

Sprayway makes the absolute best glass cleaner but they also make a SS cleaner that works the best I've used. I buy from Sam's in a three pack. 2 glass and 1 SS

• tonyg3
    12 years ago

try this . i asked him how do they keep the interior stainless doors on the elevators so new and smudge free
    and he said they use this. it does a great job in cleaning and also it reduces fingerprints.

Here is a link that might be useful: Claire stainless wipes

• lgrammie_sbcglobal_net
    12 years ago

Can I in any way get those scratches out? HELP

• maggiepie9192
    12 years ago

I was afraid to use anything with an abrasive in it so I tried Old English Almond Oil. A small amount on a soft rag and a buffing with a clean soft rag and all my old streaks and drips came right off! I won't use the SS cleaners anymore they are a waste of time. Plus the kitchen smells really nice from the almond oil!!!

• njannrosen
    12 years ago

I just tried the barkeepers friend on my streaked 15 year old Kitchen Aid s/s and it completely removed them. I wet a paper towel and just touched the Bartenders to it. I went over the whole door then wiped with a clean wet towel and dried with a micro cloth. It looks like new!

• Aynb
    12 years ago

I use my daughter's wet wipes and the SS appliances come out clean and remain so for a week or so. It is easy, currently available (as long as she is in dipers) and handy for me.

• tateland
    12 years ago

Love my stainless! Even more since someone suggested. Microfiber cloth dipped in very hot water. Followed by quick dry with a couple of dry micro fiber clothes. Looks brand new. Plus no buildup of product. When I want to polish I use baby oil. Very light application with micro fiber cloth plus quick buff with separate micriofiber cloth. If interested I have a secret weapon for granite!

• stonehard
    12 years ago

ive never heard of ZEP, but i should try it. i hate the smudge marks on my stainless steel fridge that i have to deal with daily!

• loveinamist
    11 years ago

Folks,

Read Gary Nelson's post above. I do what he says and have been since I got my appliances - all SS. I have the Bosch SS and their manual says to use ONLY mild dish soap and water just as Gary Nelson says. I do the baby oil only on special occasions when I have guests over and then the next day I remove the oil with the mild detergent and water. If I find that I forget to remove the oil, within a few days I see all kinds of dust particles attached to the appliances. Does not look good.

Want to add that I use a washcloth to wash the appliances with the soap and water (7th Generation dishwashing soap), then I wash with plain water only and then dry as the final step. I use a dry t-shirt to wipe dry since it is soft.

Any dish soap will do just use very sparingly as not much is needed.

I use this same approach to clean windows specifically my glass doorwall since my dogs always leave nose prints. First I wash the glass with soap and water, then rinse with plain water then wipe dry with a dry old towel.

Same approach to cleaning granite. Then once a month or two, I use granite cleaner.

Very simple and it works and it is cheap.

Hope this helps.
    Barb

• jchanauer
    11 years ago

I just bought a Samsung refrigerator, stove, microwave and dishwasher in SS. I bought Stainless Steel Magic wipes at Lowes... DISASTER!!!! streaks everywhere. Terrible product. Now looking for something to fix this big mess. Whatever you do, do not buy this product. I followed the instruction to the T.

• PastorSteve
    11 years ago

Last April my wife and I purchased a home and after remodeling the kitchen, we installed all LG SS Appliances. At first they we beautiul. Then the fingerprints and dog nose marks started to take their tolls on all the SS. I tried most all the recommendations previously listed and basically had little to no success. I was at Home Depot and was chatting with the fellow in the appliance dept and told him that I was very disappointed with the appliances. He recommended a new product called Steel Meister. It costs around $10. for a 9.5 ounce arrosol can. He also told me if I wasn't pleased to bring what ever was left and they would give me my $ back. I figured I had nothing to lose and bought a can. He suggested that I put 2 coats on for the first time and to spray it onto the rag before wiping it on the SS. I did as he suggested, and have not been happier. It's now 2 weeks later and everything still is looking very good. I told him that I couldn't be happier, and he said that everyone who has tried it has been just as satisfied as me. He also told me that the same company makes an excellent product for granite which I will pick soon and try. I highly reccomend this product and if bought at HD, they will give you the $ back if you're not satisfied.

• Weezybeez
    11 years ago

I just put Murphy Oil Soap on a wet cloth & used on our SS dishwasher, rinsed it with a damp cloth, then dried with a dry cloth. I then rubbed an olive oil soaked cloth over the machine, following the steel grain line, and rubbed dry with a dry towel. It looks great and all streeks and hand prints are gone.

• my3cents
    11 years ago

Best way to keep stainless appliances clean and fingerprint free? A dab of babyoil on a paper towel. Works like magic and smells great!
    My old stainless stove came with that cleaning recommendation over 20 years ago and it's still the best advice.

• Linda Giorgi
    11 years ago

I use pam cooking spray. Works great!

• susanthierfelder
    11 years ago

I just tried olive oil, wiping with the grain, using paper toweling. It worked great!

• chulo9459
    11 years ago

absolutely no doubt that the ZEP Foam Cleaner DOES works to clean the stainless steel Sears Elite refrigerator; sprayed the foam and let stand about a minute & wiped clean with paper towels - looks brand new and removed all blotches; I had used a SOS pad and thought I had ruined the door; Zep foam worked like a miracle! I purchased it at Home Depot for $4.... thank you for sharing this info

• shell_belle_54
    11 years ago

Water + microfiber cloth does an amazing job of cleaning my appliances. Just wet a small part of the cloth with regular tap water. Wipe with the grain of the stainless until all smudges are gone then polish with the dry portion of the microfiber cloth. Like I said it amazing what water will do. But be sure to dry it as water will leave spots and if your water is hard, minerals could deposit.

• NJNJ
    10 years ago

I used ZEP Heavy-Duty Citrus Degreaser (spray bottle, orange liquid) and it got tough fingerprints off. However, not streak free so followed up with light mineral oil coating, wiped off excess, and finished with clean, dry microfiber cloth.... looks like new

• jkpp04
    10 years ago

While in an appliance store I made purchases from, I asked how they kept their showroom appliances so clean...WD-40 was their answer and I have used ever since with an old white cotton t-shirt. Just takes a little and go with the grain. Will never use anything else.

• LSting
    9 years ago

Most of my appliances are GE, and I clean them with white vinegar and polish with olive oil, and they look great. But I have a Samsung refrigerator and it seemed like nothing would work, then I read an old post about Magic Erasers. The eraser worked great, and I just dried with paper towels and they look better than new. I tried the Magic Eraser on a small area on my GE dishwasher but it did not work well and made it looked worse. I cleaned it again with vinegar and oil and looks better again.

• ScotGidley
    9 years ago

That is very nice buddy. Well really it is very difficult to keep a stainless still clean and shine always. Because of this I am daily cleaning it and works too.

• lisadlu16
    7 years ago

WD40

• blake93
    4 years ago

I purchased Zep at Home Depot

• Momof5x
    4 years ago

Stop using all those products because believe it or not when over used there is residue still left- just use a bowl of water add , just a little bit of washing up liquid, wipe fridge then dry with clean cloth- that’s all that is needed. I found a lot of products to be rather waxy thus smudges etc. .

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County