Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_s_phxaz

How do I get rid of the toilet waterline rings?

michelle_s_phxaz
18 years ago

I clean my toilets often, it isn't that!!! There is a waterline ring in my toilets that no brushing will take care of. We do have hard water, would this be what causes it?

What will get rid of the rings?

Thanks!

Comments (17)

• skippy05
    18 years ago

Did you try peroxide?

• socks
    18 years ago

Pumice stone from the hardware store should do it.

• michelle_s_phxaz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks! I'll go get a pumice stone today and try the peroxide too.

• centralcacyclist
    18 years ago

Pumice stone. Muriatic acid will work, too. Get it from a pool supply store. Careful! Wear gloves! The stuff is wicked but will do away with your hard water rings.

• lizql
    18 years ago

I use the Works toilet bowl cleaner. Sometimes I've let it set overnight to get rid of the rings but it works. Shut the lid and no smell either.

• first_user
    18 years ago

Spotted this topic & etc......

I had gotten rings when using the tank cleaner things tha had bleach & couldn't get rid of it "forever". Then switched to the Ambi-purr brand oil deoderizer/cleaner & after about a week cleaned the toilet & found that the ring disappeared; very much surprised.

Think that the bleach ingredient did the dirty rings & the oil loosened(?) the ring stuff for cleaner; don't really know but if it happens again, will know what to do. Currently switched back to the solid cleaner Vanish with the borox as Ambi-purr is not so easy to find these days.

• minnie_tx
    18 years ago

Thanks guys, I had a small piece of pumice left from a foot care thing and used it last night on that nasty old ring and it came right off (with alittle elbow grease).

• Footbush2
    18 years ago

Nothing like a little elbow grease and pumice stone! Congratulations!

• michelle_s_phxaz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yup, the pumice worked for me! Yay! Thanks all!

• socks
    18 years ago

Michelle, thanks for letting us know how it worked. So often we never hear back from people. I know when you are using the pumice stone it feels like you are ruining the toilet, but it does work.

• User
    18 years ago

Wouldn't the pumice stone permanently damage the smooth surface of the toilet?

• michelle_s_phxaz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I was afraid the pumice would scratch it too, but it looks like new. I don't plan on doing it often, just when the ring gets bad. The toilet is two years old so every two years or so shouldn't hurt it.

Michelle

• WOODSGRANNY
    18 years ago

a very small piece of "water" sandpaper,and a little elbow grease.i keep small pieces in all bathrooms and kitchen it'll get the film off faucets also

• earthworm
    18 years ago

I would think that after using a harsh cleaner that a re-glaze application would be in order to prevent a recurrence.
    Is the pumice stone the same as the clay bars that auto detailers use ???

• ritaotay
    18 years ago

I always have a large supply of elbow grease on hand for everything BUT the toilet... I hate sticking my hand in it... lol

For really tough stains I use The Works bowl cleaner... I dump a bucket of cold water in the bowl to 'push' most of the water out and squirt in a good amount of cleaner, swish it around and let it sit over night then flush it all away in the morning...

The rest of the time I use either bleach or distilled vinegar... The upstairs bathroom gets little use and there's heat vent next to the toilet and in the winter I some times get a ring of mold... I just pour in some bleach and that takes care of it... As for the vinegar, I use that once a month in all my drains, I pour a cup in every sink and toilet and let it sit over night... I use about a quart in the floor drains too... It cuts the grease and mineral deposits, it even deodorizes, and it's cheap... LOL

Rita

• twotee66_aol_com
    12 years ago

God Bless You,

This has worried me for the longest. The pumice really works. Just like you said, "a pumice and a little elbow grease". Thank you so much.