Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maimie_gw

Toilet paper safe for septic systens

maimie
11 years ago

Hi all, Not the most exciting topic esp at this time of year but I just moved into a lovely condo but I'm used to town sewerage & this place has a septic system. I have been diligent about not throwing anything into the toilets (except tp) or down the drains but I'm concerned about using safe toilet paper. Does anyone know of toilet papers that are rec or safe for septic systems? Thank you in advance. PS: I have been using Charmin Ultra Soft.

Comments (11)

• mainecoonkitty
    11 years ago

I live on 8 acres with a septic system. When we built the house 3 yrs ago, the guy who put in the septic system told me never use any tp except Scott regular, not the extra soft. It says right on the package that it's safe for septic systems.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I lived in a house with a septic system for more than a decade. We used all kinds of toilet paper and never had any problems. We mostly used Charmin Ultra. The Charmin website says their TP is safe for septic systems.

• TSG1104
    11 years ago

My parent's and grandparents' homes have been on septic systems for 20+ years. They have used all different brands. I can't think of any reason why you would need to use a certain brand of tp.

• jollyrd
    11 years ago

I agree -- just read the package label - It says right on the package that it's safe for septic systems. We use Scott regular too, 6 years on septic, no problems at all.

• jannie
    11 years ago

We prefer Charmin but we've had several septic tank/cesspool backups in our 30 + years in our house. So I've switched to Cottonelle, on the advice of cesspool business owner.

• Tom2013
    11 years ago

I have had a septic for 20 years and I use Scotts regular. This is the brand that was recommended by a plumber and my septic guy. It is like using sandpaper on your skin but it doesn't clog the septic. You can see for yourself if you wet the Scotts it immediately falls apart. You can look at other brands and just put some water on them and see how fast they break up or just go with tried, true, rough and cheap Scotts. When my kids complain I just tell them that when they use a puplic restroom they will fell more at home because the paper is usually equally as rough as the Scotts.

• bulldinkie
    11 years ago

Any tp will be ok but never put paper towels etc or whatch what chemicals cleaning etc like for instance bleach kills the microbes that keep septic running

• maimie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Bleach kills the microbes that keep septic running"??? Oh great! I have been using bleach to clean my toilets. Any suggestions on what to use instead? BTW: I am still using Charmin Ultra Soft w/no problems so far. Thanks for all the responses.

• dees_1
    11 years ago

They key here is not to use too much tp and keep a substantial water flow to your system. The water is key to breaking up solids and keeping the system operating effectively. You should have your holding tank pumped periodically (every couple of years).

I grew up on septic systems; 40 years. All evaporation fields and never had a clog.

You can use bleach just don't use a ton.

• ronbach49
    6 years ago

i've been in my place for two years always used Scott TP. i got sick last week my husband did shopping and got Charmin ultra soft. Never had a problem until today. He undid septic pipe full of TP. He snaked it closet to pipe from inside it worked very happy i continued to use the charmine cause the package says safe for septic Never had a problem with two year old septic until i changed Tp Just had a proplem again. i used the least of TP without my fingers getting wet. Do not use Charmin ultra soft. Stick to Scotts might be ruff but never a problem