Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristianne_gw

Found What Works On Fiberglass Showers and Tubs

kristianne
13 years ago

I found this on another website so I can't take the credit. I've tried it three times in my master bath shower and I was stunned at the excellent results. Easy-Off Fume Free oven cleaner in the BLUE can. It's safe for self cleaning ovens and it was lemon scent. I sprayed it on as soon as I woke up, let it sit for just over an hour and came back to take my shower and finish up the job. People, people, people......the grime melted off, literally. It hasn't hurt the finish on the fiberglass so far and I'm really watching for this. If anyone out there tries this I'd love to know if they've had the same excellent results as I've had. I don't work for easy off or whatever company this is.....just a fireman's wife who found an unlikely cleaning product for the bathroom.

Comments (55)

• livebetter
    13 years ago

Apology, I was reading the old version. Seems this one does not contain it. Although, somehow I still couldn't use oven cleaner in my bathroom :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy-Off Heavy Duty Oven Cleaner-Original-Old Product

• kristianne
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It IS fume free. I used it without gloves and my hands weren't affected at all. Don't use the original....USE THE FUME FREE IN THE BLUE CAN WITH THE BLUE TOP. Then post back how it worked for you. My shower is nine years old and seriously, I was so happy when the shower came out squeaky clean.

• bookert
    13 years ago

Oooohhh,
    Sorry to trip your trigger, but the fume free I used still caused me to spray and run!
    Maybe I'm ultra sensitive.
    Nothing that toxic is going to be completely fume free IMO.
    My 2 cents.....

• saferproducts
    13 years ago

Wow, please, please, please be careful with what products you are using in your home. It can be so dangerous. Anything with a MSDS sheet is harmful to your health... just look it up, eye irritant, wear rubber gloves, dangerous if inhaled, immediately get outside for fresh air, etc, etc... even though it is fume free does not mean it is FUME FREE. Without smelling a product the harmful toxins can linger for up to a year in your home, after just one use.

There are options out there that have no toxins what-so-ever, and work just as well, if not better.

• nwkrys
    13 years ago

The Easy Off in the blue can works wonders. I have used it and recommended it to my neighbor. She used it on a bathtub in her rental that was just black with who knows what. She hadn't gotten that tub completely clean for several years because it has the embossed non slip bottom. It looked brand new after one application.

You must remember DO NOT LET THE OVEN CLEANER GET ON ANY CHROME TRIM! Other than that caveat it's a miracle worker.

• bulldinkie
    13 years ago

I did it once on just doors it ate finish off the brass trim,I would never use it on fiberglass tub...

• jnlparris
    8 years ago

I found a great solution for cleaning my fiberglass shower-by accident! I had missed a glob of my Skintimate shower gel in the shower. The next morning the spot under the gel was SNOW WHITE! I put the gel on the entire surface and patted it into foam, left it overnight. After rinsing, the entire shower was beautifully white! Shower gel is the only thing we use for cleaning the floor of the shower now! I had tried many other strong cleaners but, they didn't work, even with scrubbing.

• xoxogg
    8 years ago

Bulldinkie: that is what I would worry about--that it would eat away the shiny trim whether silver or gold. I don't have doors anymore and I am so glad!!

• Susan Hammond
    8 years ago

Just used Easy Off fume free on my nasty dirty fiberglass shower. OMG!!!! It is amazing. No fumes and no need for gloves. Haven't seen it that white since it was new 17 years ago.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Wow!

• alwaysgottaproject
    8 years ago

The oven cleaner works. We had terrible hard water stains on the embossed floors and sides going up to walls. Tried everything, nothing worked. Used Mr Clean Eraser and easy off blue can which I saw this on here last night. Happy with the results. now need a new drain. I'm sure that was white back in 84.

• jennyevans21
    8 years ago

I don't know if I would use oven cleaner. We have a new baby in the house, and I just want to be safe. I tried some of the suggestions on this site for cleaning our fiberglass shower and they seemed to work great. Maybe we're not an extreme case of needing a deep cleaning just yet, but this is working for now.

• maryannmarchese
    8 years ago

Didn't work for me. Sprayed it on (heavily) on the bottom of my shower. Came back an hour later and nothing but lots of fumes still. I'd even dried the bottom of the shower first before spraying it. I was so hoping it would take care of it. Now just worried about the chemicals that are embedded in the fiberglass.

• practigal
    8 years ago

Saferproducts..."Anything with a MSDS sheet is harmful to your health" a material safety data sheet is suposed to provide information about potentially harmful products, having a sheet does not mean it is harmful. Mishandling of any product can convert the harm from potential to actual.....

• Nancy C Smith
    8 years ago

It worked like a miracle for me on the bottom of the tub where the grime was imbedded in the non-skid. Had to leave it on overnight & a second application in some areas. Ventilated well & happy to have a clean tub.

• Deborah Murphy
    8 years ago

I just moved into a rental house (first rental house in 30 years) and I could not get the fiberglass shower clean, soap scum(yuck), black marks etc. I tried a few "safer" methods that didn't work, so tried the oven cleaner. IT WORKED! yes there are fumes, however I opened the window, sprayed it on, let it sit for about an hour & used a scrubby sponge & some elbow grease...it looks great!

• Bill Pasquina
    7 years ago

I'm not much of a believer! I have been power washing my son's fiberglass tub for years. It takes me two days of stripping down, getting into the tub, and power washing the filthy thing. I'm cleaning it to prep for the sale of our home. The bottom was a filthy brown from a blockage in the drain. I sprayed the Easy Off on and let it set for half an hour. I took a scrub brush to it at the end of a handle and the stuff came right off. Two days of hard labor converted into a half hour. Easy Off should advertise this stuff for the shower. I have a self cleaning oven.

• sally_cotnell
    7 years ago

Re msds

google ' msds water '

an msds is where you go to look to see if and how a material is hazardous and what to do in case of a problem, its existence not automarically imply hazard.

• dretutz
    7 years ago

What does it do to the pipes?

• monicakm_gw
    7 years ago

...and is it considered "abrasive"? Some might not care as long as it cleans but fiberglass and acrylic aren't supposed to be cleaned with abrasive cleaners. I considered abrasive to be products like Comet powder but that's not the case. Scrubbing Bubbles are in the abrasive category. Pity as it's the best tub cleaner I've ever used! But, I've never had a tub or shower look anywhere near like the ones above :o I found out about what is and isn't abrasive when I bought an expensive acrylic air jetted tub. Except for an acrylic cleaner-polish that require multiple steps, there are only a couple of products that aren't considered abrasive...they don't work as quickly as Scrubbing Bubbles :( I couldn't bring myself to use oven cleaner!

• gncar73
    7 years ago

The best way to care for fiberglass is to take a rubber squeegee and after each shower wipe down the walls. Don't let water build up on the walls. Then it takes no scrubbing at all. Drying off the water will prevent the soap scum from forming. I have timed it, under 30 seconds to wipe down walls. I insisted all my family do this and it has saved me many hours of back breaking scrubbing!

• nerdyshopper
    7 years ago

I just want to add to this old thread that Fume Free works and does not harm fiberglass. It has no abrasive. The name is misleading because there are lots of fumes that irritate my lungs. I just spray fast and hold my breath; get out and let it sit (turn on the vent if you have one). Come back and wipe with a wet cloth or scrubber that is non abrasive. Wash off any that gets on you.

• Shelley Lacroix-Goulet
    7 years ago

Do you guys always spray on a dry tub?

• Shelley Lacroix-Goulet
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Well, it definitely works! I've been trying to get out some stains since I moved into my house about two years ago... I've tried scrubbing bubbles, kaboom, vinegar and baking soda. I've come close to getting it like new, but not fully, until I came across this post. I didnt believe it would work, but I figured I'd try. I sprayed it on one area and then let it sit for 15 minutes then scrubbed off with squeegee and it came right off like powder. Crazy. I'm just did the entire foot part of my tub which is like a rough surface. I left it on for 30 minutes and then scrubbed with a scrub-brush and it's 95% clean (like new clean). I'm now doing it again to get the last of it out. I can't believe that it actually worked. My only issue is I don't want to step on these chemicals so I'm going to go over it with some Dawn and baking soda to make sure I don't step on any remaining harmful chemicals. That is my only issue with this- that might be why they aren't marketing this as a tub cleaning agent because it's really not safe for you to use in a tub. But really, what is safe nowadays? It Definitely got the job done!!!

• whalenw
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I read most of these posts about how toxic this stuff is,did anyone stop and think that you use this product to clean your oven wipe it down with a damp cloth then cook your supper in that same oven that you used this toxic product in, at least when you clean your shower you rinse it down with hot water. I don't know witch is worse for your health, my shower was so bad I was ready to replace it then I seen this post about the easy off no fume blue can I figured its worth a try. I sprayed it on the entire shower let it sit for an hour, I was convinced that this wouldn't work I got in the shower with one of those scrub balls my wife uses to wash in the shower. I could not believe how clean it came almost new. I spent 5 bucks on a can of oven cleaner instead of the cost of a new shower im a believer and if I can maintain my shower for 5 bucks when it needs a good cleaning why not.I don't know who found this trick but I just want to say THANKS I saved a bundle!

• Bill Pasquina
    7 years ago

I agree completely. We are selling our house. I didn't want to put in a new shower. It now looks new. Give the stuff a try.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Try this....1 part original Dawn dish liquid 1&1/2 parts white vvinegar. .put in spray bottle and shake gently...I was shocked at how well it cleaned shower doors, walls and tubs.

• Jeanette
    7 years ago

I use scrub & bubbles and it works great

• heartfor3
    7 years ago

No need to be anxious, it really does work like a charm without damaging the surface at all! I agree with the comment about holding your breath while you spray, though.

• tkhouck
    7 years ago

Moved into a home that had years of embedded grime and hard water stains on the floor of a shower. It has the non skid pattern on it which made it more difficult to get at the grime. We really thought we'd have to replace the shower eventually. I used different over the counter chemicals, scrubbed until my entire body was sore. Then I read this blog. Used the oven cleaner three times and wow! Looks wonderful! One thing I used as I felt I had nothing to lose, was a steel scrubber you can get in any store with the mops, etc. That was the trick. It helped get down in all of those little grooves in the floor and the shower seats. Amazing!

• Shelley Lacroix-Goulet
    7 years ago

Nice job! It really works wonders! I just hope we don't all get cancer due to it....

• Sammy Dolan
    7 years ago

Bar Keepers Friend is also a good product for shower bases and tubs https://www.barkeepersfriend.com/

• alwaysgottaproject
    7 years ago

First tried this over a year ago.... I submitted photos earlier in the thread. I've repeated a few times and the shower gets brighter after each time. The overspray hasn't damaged my delta chrome fixtures at all. Think about it- it doesn't mess up your stainless oven.... for those recommending scrubbing bubbles or other Dawn alternatives, believe me nothing worked. Matter of fact I used scrubbing bubbles weekly and it only cleaned, but did nothing on the set in stains. After using initially over a year ago and several times since- I have no damage. As far as cancer is concerned, I'll take my chances and hold my breath.

• trickyputt
    7 years ago

The installation manuals for all the acrylic tubs and surrounds I have installed have always said to use automotive paint cleaning and preserving products for maintainence.

• Micki-Micki
    7 years ago

My hair color ruined my floor. Thank you for the suggestion. It worked perfectly. I used this Deep Clean Brush Set .

• tammymcl
    7 years ago

What about it getting into a septic tank?

• trickyputt
    7 years ago

I would look to process or procedure of application, that being the usual buff dry with a towel. Primary finish is silicone which won't hurt much and neither will the small volume, but carrier can be mineral spirits type, or other, which evaporates. The small amounts that wash in, from say the cracks, is such small volume relative to the sheer mass of the septic bio that mother nature will eat what gets down the tube. A person on medication peeing would cause more problem.

• trujillomiguel
    6 years ago

So, I put this life hack to the test, thinking it would work. My shower is one of those plastic molds that has the not slip holes on the floor. Great idea, but is a dirt and grease trap.

I applied the easy off, blue can, using the whole thing, with a thick coat. An hour later, began scrubing. Where the tub was smoot, no problem, scrubbed right off. But where the no slip was, it was still dirty. Applied more elbow grease and water, still didn't come off.

What did work. Coating the bottom with body wash, Dawn, and Baking Soda. Letting it set for a little bit, then scrubbing it into a paste. Letting it set again and then adding water and scrubbing again. Finally I added some bleach and let it set. When I drained the tub, it was super clean. That process was about an hour and gave better results and probably not as toxic. I think, I'll just stick to the old school way of cleaning my shower. Hope that feedback helps.

• Lisa Slater
    6 years ago

Be very careful using oven cleaner in a house with pets--especially birds. It's toxic to people but easily fatal to small critters that inhale it.

• shesprite66
    5 years ago

For two years I struggled to keep our tub and shower clean. My husband works in a job where he gets full of grease. Two years ago when we had the tub and shower put in, it was stressed that the wrong cleaner could void the warranty. We tried what was recommended with no luck. It was just terrible. I was embarrassed for anyone to even see our tub and shower.
    A year or two ago I purchased Mr. Clean 2 in 1 Eraser. I had never tried it before. Ya know how you buy something and it sits under the kitchen sink forgotten about? Well, It resurfaced as I was cleaning this morning. I thought what the heck... I used it on my fiberglass tub and shower this morning. It was a fricken miracle.
    I really wish I had taken a before and after picture. It looks like the day they put it in new. Please just try it. You won't be sorry. I promise.
    It took about 10 minutes and it was in bad shape.
    Mr. Clean 2 in 1 Eraser. =-)

• thankurnmo
    5 years ago

I have used Mr Clean Eraser but this 2 in 1 sounds new.......will have to look for it. thank you for sharing this.

• shesprite66
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thankurnmo, I hope it works as well for you. Someone in my family didn't care for the product, but had tried it on something else. I only know that it worked like a charm on my shower/tub. Here is a photo of the product I used.

• debbiefranks
    4 years ago

I found out about EasyOff for tubs/showers years ago. Large apartment complexes in a college town use it and one told me about! They said they clean the dirtiest! I have used it for years now. It's great. It all out. It's fine.

• kc270
    4 years ago

The EASY-OFF Fume Free Oven Cleaner hack worked for me, releasing stubborn dirt on the shower pan of an over 25-year old fiberglass shower stall. It got 90% off the dirt "stain" out the first time, and another treatment got the remaining 10%.

The stubborn dirt was in the area where people typically stand when in the shower. Will one of the daily or weekly shower cleaners prevent this build up from returning?

• Sooz
    4 years ago

So glad for this thread! Thanks!!!!

Smiles,

Sooz

• Valerie snyder
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I had tried straight bleach, toilet bowl cleaner, Clorox powder scrub, magic erasers, CLR, wd40, baking soda and boiling water,.....wouldn't budge. The before picture is pretty gross looking now, but it was building up for 10 years with weekly scrubbings from my house cleaner. She tried all her tricks as well. Nothing worked! Came across a thread that said to use fume free oven cleaner, so I figured it couldn't hurt.....I opened the window, sprayed a can and a half, closed the door and went to work! Surprisingly I didn't find the smell suffocating at all. 6 hours later I came home to a house that smelled like the cleaners were here. Again it was not suffocating. My husband said it smelled nice. I used a scrub brush, but a sponge would have wiped away the gunk.....

• Suzee M.
    3 years ago

After reading this helpful thread, I will start with the suggested less toxic products first:

1. Skinmate shower gel

2. Body wash, Dawn, baking soda combo

3. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser 2 in 1

• Michael Anderson
    2 years ago

Didnt work and now ive tryed everythig that i could find on the internet with NO success,what do i do ;ow buy a new tub

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia