Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pbx2_gw

Stupid Question: what's good to sweep up the floors?

pbx2_gw
11 years ago

Dust is the bane of my life & in my new house I vow vengeance on it ;)

Some of these stiff bristle brooms move dirt but also keeps them attached to the bristle too!

& the hair will not come off these things. EEEK!

Seriously, what do you all do to sweep up your floors?

Comments (9)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    11 years ago

Not a stupid question at all. See the link below to another recent thread for some suggestions.

I posted there that I use a bare floor brush attached to vacuum sweeper extension wands. It vacuums up dust, dirt, and hair as opposed to just pushing it around, but I do have to occasionally stop and clean the hair from the brush. I just remove the brush and rake it across the end of the extension while the sweeper is turned on.

Good luck in the never ending war on dust and hair.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Best way to pick up hair and fuzz from hard floor surfaces

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

Make sure you have a broom whose fibers are designed for the flooring surface upon which it is intended to be used.
    I use a nylon broom daily on both hardwood and tile and it works perfectly well- it is soft enough that I can run it over the baseboards without worrying about the paint.

I vastly prefer the silence of a broom to the bombast of mechanicals.
    I find manual sweeping to be quicker as well.
    Sometimes the old ways are the best ways.

• maimie
    11 years ago

Personally I hate sweeping since it sends dust all over the place. I use a very lightweight cordless vacuum to clean all bare floors. Does the job in a couple of seconds & I empty it right into the trash. This has worked for me for many years & my floors look great. I also use it for quick vacuuming on my carpeting. Won't take the place of a "real" vacuum but for a quickie it's perfect.

• maimie
    11 years ago

Personally I hate sweeping since it tends to send dust all over the place. I use a very lightweight cordless vacuum to clean all bare floors. Does the job in a couple of seconds & I empty it right into the trash. This has worked for me for many years & my floors look great. I also use it for quick vacuuming on my carpeting. Won't take the place of a "real" vacuum but for a quickie it's perfect.

• meek95
    11 years ago

My entire first floor is laminate. With kids and a cat, I would be lost without the small portable canister vacuum. I used to use a broom but the dust just resettled elsewhere. I've gone through a couple of stick vacuums but they didn't last long. The canister has lasted the longest. Bought it at Sears.

• thankurnmo
    11 years ago

I use all of the above- I have a dog who sheds, plus we make crumbs and all. So I usually do a quick sweep with a broom for starters and sometimes that is it. I agree it's not a perfec way but its pretty good. I will sometimes follow up with a swiffer cloth which is pretty good at getting the remmants. (but if there is a lot of crumbs or dog hair, it is not enough). Vaccums definitely work but they are a bit of a pain.
    So my vote for ease I guess is the swiffer and broom.:)

• laydeebug72
    11 years ago

I use a shop vac, very strong suction and keeps the place extra clean!

• emma
    11 years ago

Years ago when I had hard surfaces on the floor I used a dust mop. I sprayed a little something on it to make the dust stick to it. It was quick and easy.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks