Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jsfox_gw

Handheld Vacum ?

jsfox
14 years ago

My wife is looking for a good hand held vacuum to use for small cleanups instead of pulling out long hoses. Something along the lines of a dustbuster, but that actually works. I've searched here (and elsewhere) and haven't come up with any good recommendations. Any input appreciated!

Thanks,

Comments (10)

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

I got this one (see link) about a year ago and find it meets my needs very well; the 18 volts provides a lot of suction power. I purchased it for less than this Amazon link shows.

Here is a link that might be useful: Handheld Vacuum

• jsfox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the recommendation. I've generally steered very clear of B&D products based on A LOT of bad previous experience, but I'll check this one out.

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

JS, I am not a B&D fan either and almost mentioned that along with my recommendation but didn't think my prejudice was relevant.

• lucky51
    14 years ago

The best dust buster style we found to carry at the store is the Filterstream DirtTamer Ultima V2510.

• ummm
    14 years ago

this is the one we bought but it's too early to tell if I'm happy with it yet! (guess I need to use it more often :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Dirt Devil M0105 Purpose For Pets Hand Vac

• graywings123
    14 years ago

I wish someone would make a hand vac that had a long enough nozzle that you could pick up stuff from the floor without bending over. I would like to be able to walk around the house gathering dog fur from the corners of the rooms.

• lucky51
    14 years ago

Graywings have you looked at the Simplicity Sport? Can be hand held or placed over the shoulder. it has a hose and wand included.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Thanks for the tip, Lucky. I went to the Simplicity website and there's not a lot of info on the product. It doesn't appear to have a beater bar.

I used to have a Dirt Devil very similar to the Sport. Wish I hadn't given it away.

• geguymw
    14 years ago

I do not care for these so called "dustbuster" rechargeable handvacs, because of their limited capabilities. They are ok if you just have a little dirt and crushed chips. If you want to do a better job of picking up hair and dirt, you might want to look at a "dustbuster" vacuum that uses a motorized brushroll.
    Also look at handvacs that have at least 14volts of battery power.

B&D does make some powerful rechargeable handvacs like the one in a link above. They also make a model that has a motorized brush. They introduced a mini rechargeable canister vac, which would work better for those who have to get in tight spaces. It is called the B&D Flex FHV1200.

Dyson makes the DC16 that has enough power, but the one problem is it will only last a few minutes before it quits and needs to be recharged. I would never suggest that you purchase it at the "new" price, but a factory refurb for under $80 could work for those with money to burn.

Hoover has come out with a powerful rechargeable handvac that works well, but it has a high price tag like the above Dyson.

Euro Pro markets some handvacs that have alot of power like the Shark Pet Perfect Cyclonic hand vacuum. It uses a motorized brush, which can be removed if you need to suck up larger stuff like cheerios. The large drawback to Euro Pro has been their customer service. If your vac breaks down, you might have problems getting it repairs.

Do not expect these vacs to last a lifetime. Most people toss the vac when the battery no longer charges like it should. You can replace the batteries, but some can be very expensive. Dyson is one that comes to mind, at $75. The Hoover Platinum Linx hand vac battery pack is around $55. At least, the Hoover's battery slides right in without any tools.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black & Decker Hand vacs

• betsyhac
    14 years ago

Almost everything I've ever bought by B&D has been junk. There's a Eureka handheld on Amazon that I was looking at for stairs bc it rec'd great reviews, had a beater bar, supposedly good suction. I can't offer any personal experience tho, bc I just bought a whole new vacuum so I don't need the Eureka anymore. I was just showing it to a friend and noticed that they dropped the price too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eureka Handheld Vacuum