Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning mold from wood floor

Posted by teapot100 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 31, 10 at 15:24

We just pulled up the carpet in the living room of our new-to-us house and after spending a night there, all I could smell was mold. There are some stains in the wood - the floor really needs to be refinished (scuffed, worn, etc), but we can't afford to do that right now so we need a temporary fix for at least a couple of years.

How can we best clean the mold from the wood? We will probably just cover the floor with area rugs for now, but we really need to get rid of that moldy smell!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning mold from wood floor

There are any number of products on the market that you can clean your floors with to kill mold. A simple solution of water and bleach would work. But you need to find out what is causing the mold and whether it is only on the surface of the floor. If I were you, I would cross post this on the home repair forum.

o
RE: Cleaning mold from wood floor

I don't have a suggestion how to get rid of the mold smell, but I can probably tell you how the wood got mold on/in it. Someone left something wet on the floor. A wet rug, wet towel, even a wet bathing suit will ruin wood! Come to think of it, it might help kill the mold if you wipe it with a cloth dampened with white vinegar. Really scrub at it to get the "roots' of the mold. let it air dry. The vinegar smell WILL disappear.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here