Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

cleaning a burnt-on material from gas fireplace glass

Posted by clancyspad (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 13, 07 at 14:40

Help! Something ( material unknown) burnt onto the outside of the fireplace glass. It is about 6 inches by 2 inches and has the texture of burnt plastic. I suspect it may have been a bag but I still don't know. I tried Goo gone with no luck.
any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: cleaning a burnt-on material from gas fireplace glass

can you get the glass out? oven cleaner works like a charm, but it's a mess if you get it on anything else.

a lower-impact method to get burnt-on things off of glass or metal is to drape it in wet fabric softener sheets (a piece of saran wrap taped over it to keep it damp, if the glass doesn't come out) overnight.

after that, your only resort is a hard plastic scraper, then a 'widget' - a single-edged razor blade in a holder.

RE: cleaning a burnt-on material from gas fireplace glass

Try a microfiber cloth with water and lots of gentle rubbing when the glass is completely cold.
It is probably not "glass" and is a high heat ceramic - I would not remove it or use anything harsh.
DH stuck his foot on ours last year (dumb!!!) and his sock burnt / melted immediately. Over the summer when the glass was completely cold (pilot light turned off) I was able to remove the mark completely.

RE: cleaning a burnt-on material from gas fireplace glass

I would try a razor blade. We purchased a glass-top stove/oven and it's literally the only way to get it completely clean on the surface when something drips onto it and burns onto the glass. I bet it will work...

RE: cleaning a burnt-on material from gas fireplace glass

I know this forum is pretty old, but as a means of update - this just happened to me (melted sock on fireplace glass ... oy). I waited until the glass was cool enough to touch (it was still warm) and made a paste out of baking soda and water. The paste was pretty thick. I scrubbed with a back and forth motion, and I was able to rub the burnt material off within a few minutes. Wanted to share my success!

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here