Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clancyspad

cleaning a burnt-on material from gas fireplace glass

clancyspad
16 years ago

Help! Something ( material unknown) burnt onto the outside of the fireplace glass. It is about 6 inches by 2 inches and has the texture of burnt plastic. I suspect it may have been a bag but I still don't know. I tried Goo gone with no luck.

any ideas?

Comments (10)

• Ina Plassa_travis
    16 years ago

can you get the glass out? oven cleaner works like a charm, but it's a mess if you get it on anything else.

a lower-impact method to get burnt-on things off of glass or metal is to drape it in wet fabric softener sheets (a piece of saran wrap taped over it to keep it damp, if the glass doesn't come out) overnight.

after that, your only resort is a hard plastic scraper, then a 'widget' - a single-edged razor blade in a holder.

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

Try a microfiber cloth with water and lots of gentle rubbing when the glass is completely cold.
    It is probably not "glass" and is a high heat ceramic - I would not remove it or use anything harsh.
    DH stuck his foot on ours last year (dumb!!!) and his sock burnt / melted immediately. Over the summer when the glass was completely cold (pilot light turned off) I was able to remove the mark completely.

• mcfromct
    16 years ago

I would try a razor blade. We purchased a glass-top stove/oven and it's literally the only way to get it completely clean on the surface when something drips onto it and burns onto the glass. I bet it will work...

• jk171400
    9 years ago

My son melted his sweatshirt onto the glass on our gas fireplace. It was an under armour plastic/polyester type. I tried everything on the internet goo gone nail pol. remover oven cleaner baking soda etc. Here is the only thing that works and it works great! Use a heat gun on low setting don't have one..get one they come in handy. get a new razor blade paint scraper with the holder for better control. heat a 3/4 inch by 3/4 inch at a time area for about 30 seconds then carefully scrape with razor blade. continue each small area until done. Worked great!

• graywings123
    6 years ago

^^^^ YES

I did a google search to find a solution to melted polyester on a glass fireplace front and found this thread.

I started with Weiman's Glass Cook Top cleaner, a paper towel and an old credit card for scraping. This took off a lot of it, but a thin, visible layer that I could feel with my hand remained. I took the advice of jk171400 and used a heat gun and razor blade paint scraper to get that last layer off, followed by a quick wipe with a paper towel. Towards the end, I was using the heat gun less and relying more on the scraper. Once you get the angle of the scraper right, it scrapes it right off. I went at it until I could run my hand across the glass and it was smooth. Success!

• Victoria
    2 years ago

Thanks for the tips here! Baking soda didn’t work for me, and didn’t want to risk using a razor that might scratch the glass. What ended working for me quite easily…mix a solution with 2 drops glycerin, 1 drop dish soap, baking soda, and few drops water. Saturate stained area for a few min…if the gunk is thick, even layer on some cotton with solution to mask it. The glycerin is a great humectant to soften the stain. Then brush off stain with toothbrush

• J Singer
    2 years ago

Scraping with an old credit card helped. Then we finished off with Fast Orange cleaner to get it completely slick. Don’t know if the latter would have done the job by itself.

• HU-641117494
    last year

Just had same problem just know....tried baking soda and rubbing a lot...oven cleaner on a hot glass worked

• HU-641117494
    last year

Just had this problem.

For me oven cleaner and heated glass worked.