Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Candle soot on lampshade

Posted by beback (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 9, 09 at 12:50

I'm in the holiday season, and love to burn candles in my window, however, I have black soot on the inside of my lampshade. How do I remove this? I'm burning some soy candles, but not all. Thanks........


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Candle soot on lampshade

That sounds dangerous.


 o
RE: Candle soot on lampshade

If the wick is too long it will soot while burning. Make sure it is trimmed properly before lighting.
I have found that the best soot cleaner is Krud Kutter in the red spray bottle.

Here is a link that might be useful: Krud Kutter


 o
RE: Candle soot on lampshade

The fire department is warning about burning candles. These days many fires are started by candles, so please watch your candles and never leave them unattended. I think you are courting disaster by using a lamp shade over them.


 o
RE: Candle soot on lampshade

Exactly, candles are dangerous. First, put them in steady large candle holders, don't burn them down past the last 2 inches, and keep constant watch over them. And don't even bother if you have kids or pets who are curious and may knock them over.


 o
RE: Candle soot on lampshade

I am sure she meant to say candle shade. These are made of ceramic and just for candles. They are actually designed to make candles burn better and guard the flame from being quite so open.

Here is a link that might be useful: ceramic candle shades


 o
RE: Candle soot on lampshade

Still, any candle in a window, which I presume means sitting on a window sill, sounds dangerous.


 o
RE: Candle soot on lampshade

I agree with graywings. Candles should never be burned on a window sill. I always make sure mine are on a fireproof base and sitting all by its self with nothing around it. I also never use candle rings or decorations of any kind. I believe they are a fire waiting to happen.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here