Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosessecretgarden_gw

tea stains!

rosessecretgarden
13 years ago

I somehow split tea on my white tea shirt and the stain is still there. Its not going :(

what i must do to remove this stain. :D

Comments (14)

• jannie
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Lots of water and Oxyclean should work.

• rosessecretgarden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oxyclean... hmm ok let me get that. I hope it is available in my stores

• ebear1271
    13 years ago

I second the Oxyclean but you need hot water, especially with a white shirt. Just put some Oxy and hot water in the sink and let the shirt soak. I've let mine go for a day or more and it's a miracle worker!

• rosessecretgarden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks All.... for wonderful replies and answers

Its great to be here thankyou

• kapilv
    13 years ago

Hi! I would like to suggest you that whenever you got tea stain on your shirt or any other fabric then try to take action quickly because that will enhance the possibility of removing stain.First try to wash fabric using warm water and biological detergent then follow it by normal wash. If stain is still there on fabric then make mixture of hydrogen peroxide(20%),dilute one part of this chemical into 9 parts of water.use this solution to wash fabric. It will certainly work.

• saferproducts
    13 years ago

Well, as my name would imply, I am all about using safer products in the household so you are not exposed to harsh chemicals and toxins. Most houses are so airtight that anything you clean with will actually stay in the house for over a year.

I use a product called Pre-Spot, all natural, totally eco-friendly containing no chemicals or toxins, and I swear it works better than anything I have ever used. I am pregnant and get bloody noses all the time. I have "stained" my white carpet, covered a tan sweater with blood, etc... and simply spraying Pre-Spot on it has made the stain go away - I did not even get to the point of wiping it off with water before it went away. In fact, two minutes ago I spilled chicken broth on my white suede boots. I finished what I was doing, grabbed the Pre-Spot, sprayed it, and they were clean. I wiped it off with a damp towel, and they are as good as new!

• susieq07
    13 years ago

Good old liquid bleach, wet a paper towel dab on, rinse, tea gone in an instant..

• saferproducts
    13 years ago

oh, I did not even catch that on hers... a link for insurance or something? hmm... well, I would appreciate links if it is related to what is being discussed. Is that ok? I mean, if I am looking for a product somebody is talking about, I want to know where to get it!

Susie - oh man, bleach?? haha that is a cardinal sin in my household! I will not get into how dangerous bleach is, but I will say the toxins from bleach, even if only used once, will linger in your household for over a year. But, my question is, doesn't it ruin anything other than whites that it comes in contact with??

• susieq07
    13 years ago

I have used liquid bleach all 48 years as a housewife and my mother before me, with no adverse affects! most washers come with a liquid bleach dispenser even my brand new one...wonder why? we swim in chlorine in our pools it is in all municipal drinking waters and it is all the same!

• livebetter
    13 years ago

susieq07, "no adverse affects" that you know of. Your reasons are not scientific by any stretch.

I'm not one to get carried away with the "non-toxic" angle but I have done plenty of reading and I do believe we have been lied to for many years about the safety of many things. Can you say, "DDT"?? What about those "safe" PCB flame retardents they doused children's sleep wear with??

In the US, TOSCA (Toxic Substances Control Act) assumes all chemicals are SAFE unless otherwise proven guilty. Europe threw this philosophy out in 2010 and is forcing all chemical manufacturers to prove their safety (REACH). Some chemicals have now been banned in Europe but are still being used in the US. Watch the program Toxic America from CNN for some insight into this. http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2010/toxic.america/

CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Company) ran a very interesting piece called "Toxic Brew" that sheds some interesting light on household cleaners.

Excerpted from Seventh Generation's Information Bulletin, "Facts about Chlorine."

Should I worry about chlorine in household cleaners? In a word: Yes. Whether found alone or in a mixture of other chemicals, household products that contain chlorine pose a number of serious health risks. Products of special concern include: automatic dishwashing detergents, chlorine bleach, chlorinated disinfectant cleaners, mildew removers, and toilet bowl cleaners.

Many household cleaners contain chlorine, though it often masquerades behind aliases such as "sodium hypochlorite" or "hypochlorite."

Breathing in the fumes of cleaners containing a high concentration of chlorine can irritate the lungs. This is particularly dangerous for people suffering from heart conditions or chronic respiratory problems such as asthma or emphysema. And the risks are compounded when the cleaners are used in small, poorly ventilated rooms, such as the bathroom. Chlorine is also a highly corrosive substance, capable of damaging skin, eyes, and other membranes. Chlorine was listed as a hazardous air pollutant in the 1990 Clean Air Act, and exposure to chlorine in the workplace is regulated by federal standards.

What Can I Do to Protect My Family from the Hazards of Chlorine? You can do plenty.

-One of the most important things you can do is buy paper products that aren't bleached with chlorine. That�s because chlorine bleached paper can contain dioxin and organochlorine residues that can transfer to any food or person they come in contact with. Choose instead unbleached paper towels, napkins, facial tissue, and bathroom tissue.

-The EPA says that using bleached coffee filters alone can result in a lifetime exposure to dioxin that "exceeds acceptable levels". Choose instead unbleached coffee filters.

-Using detergents that contain chlorine in the dishwasher or clothes washer can pollute the air in your home. The water in the machines, which contains chlorine from the detergents, transfers the chlorine to the air through a process called "volatilization." We then breathe the contaminated air. Choose instead cleaning products made without chlorine.

-Dishwashers are the worst culprits, releasing chemicals in a steamy mist when the door is opened after washing. In a clothes washer, chlorine mixes with the dirt in clothes to generate airborne, toxic chlorinated organic chemicals. Chlorine-free dishwashing detergents are readily available.

Here is a link that might be useful: CBC - Toxic Brew

• saferproducts
    13 years ago

Nice response, livebetter - it is because of exactly what you mentioned above that I have now switched ALL cleaning products in my home. I get them from one store, so it makes it easy. I have noticed a huge difference.
    This is sad, but even before doing the research my husband and I knew that whatever was being used in the dishwasher was very irritating to our eyes and lungs. We would literally plan to run the dishwasher when we could be out of the house, and leave a window open. Now I know WHY we had to do that. Not anymore!! I can run it with all windows and doors closed and my entire family hanging out in the kitchen with no problem.

• livebetter
    13 years ago

susieq07 - consider yourself blessed.

I just watched someone's 5 year old daughter undergo treatment for aggressive brain cancer ... they have plenty to worry about.

• saferproducts
    13 years ago

I just had a friend with a perfectly healthy 6 year old have a minor heart attack, linked directly to the use of Clorox wipes at school. The child's job was to wipe desks down each day. Some may be more sensitive than others, and susieq, you must not be so sensitive, and that is great. I can say from experience that what chemicals I am exposed to have a great impact on me.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus