Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emmar_gw

No questions here

emma
10 years ago

I am going to learn a lot about cleaning the furnishings you all ask about, because my new home has granite, wood laminate floors, tile and a jacuzzi and a stupid bowl sink in one bathroom. I will try it all for awhile, but I know I will eventually buy carpet for the living area. The bathrooms are high maintenance and may change some of that out later. I know I will take down the clean glass shower doors.

I will let you know if my cleaning methods work. Mainly I use soap and water except for the sink. They stain so easily it takes a more than soap and water to whiten and remove stains.

Comments (8)

• grainlady_ks
    10 years ago

Hope you enjoy your new home. I don't blame you for removing glass shower doors. They are a mess even if you have soft water or chemically softened water. We use a squeegee to remove drops of water from the walls and door, and a quick buff with a small micro-fiber towel.

-Grainlady

• emma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is what I do with my shower stall, squeegee the flat surfaces and dry the rest with a hand towel. I have not cleaned it since I moved in, it is not necessary. I have looked at it closely because I can't believe it is so easy to prevent...instead of scrubbing later.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    10 years ago

We hate shower doors. We put a shower curtain rod above the shower doors and hang a washable shower curtain inside the doors and a decorative shower curtain outside the shower door. Very rarely ever have to clean the shower door.

• emma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Albert thanks for the tip. I was told today it was an over sized shower stall. The master bath was the only negative I found, glass doors and jacuzzi are very high maintenance. The owner had allergies so the floors are all hard and I may change that after awhile. I will try everything and try to adjust to it. I am going down Monday to have a look and put down the deposit if it suits me. The owner accepted my offer and that was below the appraisal value so I may be going home. I left there when I was 13.

• blairgirl
    10 years ago

I remember when clear glass shower doors became the rage. They look wonderful as long as no one takes a shower!

For me, I always weigh decor against the cleaning factor. Everything's gotta be cleaned, and it's me 99 percent of the time who has to clean it.

If the people who design homes and decor had to actually CLEAN what they design, it'd look a lot different!

• emma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Blair, I hardly do any cleaning, mainly dusting and cleaning toilets and I have my floors cleaned. That sounds awful but it really isn't. In my living circumstances it easy to keep the home clean by cleaning as you go. Every time I wash my hands I wipe the faucet and vanity down, same in the kitchen. If I splash water on the mirror I wipe it down. Take things out of the cabinet and put it away as soon as I am finished with it. Very little cleaning left.

• jannie
    10 years ago

There are a couple of home trends I always disliked. One was those stupid glass shower surrounds. Another is the "open floor plan". You open your front door and can see your entire first floor!
    To me, it looks open and cold, not warm and welcoming after a hard day at work. And where do you hide your "mess"?

• emma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The open floor plan is what I have and what I was looking for. Lots of windows, no heavy drapes and my guests are impressed except for those who like a formal home. I even got rid of my dining table, I eat at the bar. It makes my living area look even bigger. The only mess I have is hidden on the counter hidden by my fridge and on my office desk, just small things. My home is never messy just lived in.

My house hunting has been put on hold. I cannot find a new home anywhere without covenants and I won't go there again. I looked in Oklahoma and in Arkansas. I may have to settle for an older home built before HOA's. I am now waiting until I get my cataracts removed before I take any more road trips.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH