Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to get rid of 'new home smell'

Posted by nikit (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 1, 10 at 11:53

We just moved into our new addition. I got a headache from staying in our bedroom without the windows open -- not sure if it is the carpet or some adhesives. I feel OK in other parts of the house. Maybe something is releasing volatile organic compunds. Any suggestions on how to clear out the "new home smell" in addition to opening the windows? Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to get rid of 'new home smell'

There's not much more you can do besides airing out the house. You could keep the fan of your HVAC system running to help circulate the air.

o

Yes I would agree that using some fans and leaving the windows open is the way to go.
Joann

o

Try putting a few bowls of vinegar out. Vinegar will absorb odor. I've never tried it for an odor that strong but for everyday problems (such as a teenagers room!) it works.

o

You need to remove the VOCs (volatile organic compounds). Opening windows will help but if you can't leave them open all the time, get a HEPA air filter with an activated charcoal filter. I have the Rabbit Air (cheapest model) we purchased it when we got a new mattress and I couldn't stand the new mattress off gassing. This air cleaner took away the harmful fumes quickly, and continues to help my allergies as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here