Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendyb_gw4

new stainless steel saucepans hazy

WendyB 5A/MA
12 years ago

I finally ditched my 40+ year old farberware saucepans -- after destroying one with burnt strawberry sauce -- and got some nice and shiny Cuisinart replacements. However,every time I wash them there is a slight haze residue on the inside bottom.

I have washed with regular dishwashing liquid and also with SOS pads. At first I thought it might be starch residue from rice or pasta, but not so.

Am I just being too picky because they are new and I want them to look perfect?

I have always washed pots by hand, but maybe I will try in the dishwasher for a change. No bakelite handle on these.

Comments (8)

• krissie55
    12 years ago

Wait, don't put your new pots and pans in the dishwasher, it will remove the "shine" on inside and outside. Yeah, I learned the hard way by listening to my daughters, they put theirs in dishwasher all the time. I like shiny pans!!

Use Cameo Stainless Cleaner on inside of pans and see the difference it makes. It is most likely starch residue in bottom of pans that only a stainless steel cleaner will remove.

• arkansas girl
    12 years ago

I was just told how great baking soda works to clean stainless, makes it shiny. OK NO I haven't yet tried it but it was my sister that told me and I believe her, I just haven't needed to use it.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for replying ladies.

I am not too crazy about the idea of using anything special on them. It's annoying, but its not worth extra effort IMO.

They've only been used a few times. I was wondering if it might be something in my water? or the particular dishwashing liquid I am using? or just a factory residue thing or ... ???

The SS cleaner seems appropriate for outside of appliances but do I want my food touching any lingering residue in a pan?

It's hard for me to imagine that SOS pads wouldn't cut through any surface haze.

Maybe I'll go look on the Cuisinart site.

• arkansas girl
    12 years ago

No I wouldn't use an SOS pad. But frankly if you aren't willing to use anything that is being suggested because "it's not worth the extra effort" then I don't really know what help anything we say is going to be. I mean how much effort is grabbing some baking soda from the cabinet (everyone has Baking soda that cooks) and trying that? So I just don't know what you are wanting to hear?

• WendyB 5A/MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I guess I just want to vent and know why it is like that.

I may try these approaches to see what helps, but I don't know if I would do it all the time. No extra room at the sink for anything else!

While browsing this forum on this issue, I found interesting conversations about how to save a pot from burnt remains. Too bad I didn't think to look here when the original pot burnt. I guess after 40 years, I was ready for new pots - LOL!

• krissie55
    12 years ago

There is no extra room needed at the sink to hold pan in one hand and quickly sprinkle a little Cameo Stainless Steel Cleaner inside, use a wet sponge scrub thing and clean starch from inside the pan. Takes only a few seconds, rinse as usual,dry, and put back in cabinet never letting it use counter/sink space. A can of Cameo takes up only a few inches along with other cleaning supplies.

If cleaning supply area is limited, attach a rack on inside of cabinet door under the sink to hold the small things. Easy reach. Worth every ounce of effort required.

A pan with starch in the bottom is more likely to cause other foods cooked in the pan to stick or scorch.

If you only wanted to know what the residue is inside the pan, it is STARCH from foods cooked in the pan. Some foods leave residue other than starch. If you see a colorful swirl in bottom of pan, clean with stainless steel cleaner and enjoy a beautiful pan, that too is residue from foods.

If you do not want to use effort to keep pans shiny/bright, etc. put them in the dishwasher like my daughters do and forget about what they will look like over time.

I love my shiny pans even tho I have a large family that requires loads of my time. It is worth a little effort to keep my pots/pans looking great, very uplifting when I spend so much time in the kitchen preparing food for my family. Don't have to fight the battle of other foods sticking in the bottom.

• kris_zone6
    12 years ago

I use Barkeeper's Friend to clean the inside of my SS pans. I also put them in the dishwasher and they are still shiny.

• jannie
    12 years ago

I have a set of Revere Stainless I purchased in 1974. I put them in the dishwasher all the time. It has ruined the plastic handles, they are all pitted. But the pans themselves are shiny. When food gets burned on, I soak overnight with Dawn dishwashing liquid. Both my Mom and one sister have similar pots and hand wash them only. Just my experience.