Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help fixing yellow spot on rug.

Posted by jeanskitchen (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 18, 04 at 10:51

Please post suggestions. I turned a small dog urine accident into a big yellow spot on my mostly white wool oriental rug by using the wrong cleaning solution. Does anyone have any suggestions for removing the yellow stain made from the wrong cleaner. Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help fixing yellow spot on rug.

No idea what cleanser you used to stain the carpet....but the first line of defense is water...soak that spot and blot and blot with paper towel....place a dry towel over the spot and step on it....put dry paper down and repeat until the paper stays dry when you step on it.
Then try to figure out what the yellow stain is.
Linda C

o

Take it to a PROFESSIONAL cleaner who specializes in Oriental rugs. Take the bottle of whatever you used with you and let them know you used it.

o

I used oxiclean which should not be used for wool. I believe that that is what has caused the permanent stain.

o

Oxiclean shouldn't hurt the wool at all....
Did you blot all the urine up before you used the oxyclean?....if not....wet the spot and blot blot blot....
Another possibiklity, if it is an antique Oriental, made before 1940, it may be vegetable dye and it may have run...the colors bled.
Try wetting it with water and blotting....water can't hurt a wool rug. If it is a newer rug....and especially if it is a machine made rug water certainly won't hurt it.
Linda C

o

I will try the water, water, water approach. The rug is not old and not hand done. I am afraid that the wool had turned yellow as there is nothing that comes off anymore when I blot. I will try again and let you know.

o

I'd take it to a professional at this point.

o

I read somewhere that urine and vomit contain acids.In order to keep them from eating the carpet ,they need to be dealt with immediately.First line of defense is to blot.The second is to neutralize with either a solution of ammonia and water(ammonia changes the chemical in the urine or vomit so that it stops eating the carpet )or a cleaner made for pet mistakes that contains something to neutralize the acids.Sometimes if too much time elapses between an accident and the cleanup,the carpet won't lose the stain.Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here