Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ammonia for cleaning shower doors?

Posted by karen_tennessee (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 3, 09 at 10:17

I am in desperate mode. I need to clean my shower doors. I have read a previous thread that gave a number of suggestions; however I also read on the internet that ammoia can be used. Is there a reason not to try ammonia?
Will it harm the metal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ammonia for cleaning shower doors?

Ammonia will work.....but closing yourself in the shower to clean the inside of the doors with ammonia will make you cough and choke.
Try a paste of washing soda....or perhaps white vinegar....but that will also make you choke.
Linda c

o

I agree, using straight ammonia without ventilation will be terrible-the fumes will drive you out of there, very irritating to the eyes and lungs. Don't do it! . Try another method.

o

I agree with the others. I don't mind pulling out powerful cleaners when needed, but straight ammonia is not going to work as well as other products or combinations of products and the fumes will kill you.

I don't know what you have tried, but I would start with Comet Bathroom Cleaner with Disinfectant, which comes in a spray bottle. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS about letting it stand for 10 minutes before wiping.

While you are out buying the Comet Spray, look around for a bottle of Lemon Oil sold for furniture. Holloway House makes a cheap version. Rub a little of that on the metal and the door and it will give a bit of a shine and remove the water spots.

Here is a link that might be useful: Comet Spray

o

I clean for someone with glass shower doors and after I clean with a basic bathroom cleaner- rinse- and wipe them down with a cheap fabric softener sheet.

Ammonia is strong I would make it a last resort.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here