Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to protect new floors

Posted by karle13 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 8:23

Help! We are moving in tomorrow during snow! We have brand new hardwood and carpet! The stairs are carpeted and I don't know what to put down to protect them while they are carrying the furniture upstairs! What I have down now( like a tarp) will not stay in place! And the hardwood is covered with paper and card board! Any suggestions please!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to protect new floors

While 'they' are carrying in the upstairs furniture...

Is this a professional moving company then? They should have with them anything they need to protect, can you find out if that's true with your movers. Here, it was a sideways blowing rainstorm. Small local company hired to only move the larger pieces and they treated as if their own things.

They had something like painters drop cloth that was tacky on one side so it wouldn't slip around, cut that and laid it down hallways going to bedrooms etc (blond carpet that end of the house). Their footing was safe and so was my carpet - I would guess it would work on stairs but there are no stairs here.

What ever caused the 'tack' didn't seem to leave any residue but they had a big professional roll so I didn't see any product name.

o
RE: How to protect new floors

Self adhering temporary carpet protection plastic is available at places like Lowe's. You've probably seen this stuff at model homes, etc.

I would just leave the paper and cardboard down as protection. If the movers don't bring something, throw down some old blankets or sheets to collect the water. Tape them down. Don't put the plastic near a doorway. It will be too slippery when wet.

I don't recall what my last movers used but we kept the paper/cardboard down. I think they also brought carpet/floor protectors since it was snowy. You can always tape the tarp down.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here