Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Won a Miele S7 Tango Vacuum - What Would You Do?

Posted by robj (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 9, 10 at 7:34

We entered a drawing at our local appliance shop when we purchased our gas range.

We got a call yesterday that we had won a Miele vacuum cleaner. When I picked it up, the salesman said it was worth about $500. I went home and googled it and found that they actually retail for $850! We also got a year's worth of bags in the deal. Our 5 year old Kenmore has issues and needs repair or replacement (again!). Needless to say, we were delighted.

Now comes the rub - Uprights are really best on carpet. We have hardwood throughout the house with just a couple of area rugs. We'd be much better served with a canister.

I'm thinking of eBaying the S7 and purchasing a Miele canister (likely the Callisto) with the cash.

Does this make sense or is the Titan good for hardwood floors as well?

Please help us decide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Won a Miele S7 Tango Vacuum - What Would You Do?

Make that: is the Tango good for hardwood floors too?

o

I don't have any experience with either vacuum, but found some good info on the Tango at the link below...so you 'may' want to keep it.

Congratulations on being a winner!

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: s7 Tango info

o

Hey thanks.

I almost feel like running out and buying a lottery ticket.

We're definitely leaning toward selling it and buying a Miele canister.

o

I own the S7 Marin (Swing in the US). Love it for broadloom and various jobs using the wand.

My main floor is all hardwood and area carpets. While I have used the S7 on the carpets, if I didn't have broadloom upstairs I would absolutely get a canister (I probably will get one too someday).

I have used it twice to vacuum hard surface (ie. hardwood, tile) and didn't love it. I use my central vac for those jobs still (although I hate lugging my 35' hose around).

Congrats but I say sell it and get a canister. I'd go for an S5 model over the Titan.

o

The Miele upright would do okay on floors, as well as carpeting. But you have to ask yourself, "Do I really want to push this heavy machine across the floor, when I could have a canister and push a very lightweight wand, with floor brush?"

Pushing that floor brush across the floor is so easy to do. It can get inbetween furniture and under some furniture without difficulty.

If you have some carpeting, then I would add a power nozzle to the canister.

An upright, with onboard tools, is better suited if you have quite a bit of carpeting to vacuum, with some floors and above the floor cleaning added.

o

Ugh, the S7 was just too heavy and difficult to get into corners (even under some furniture). Unless it's wall-to-wall carpet, in which case it's a great machine, I'd sell it and get a canister. I haven't looked back since!

o

All I can say is if you want to get rid of it, I'll take it. Are you selling it for a good price? Let me know. Personally, from what I have seen on this vacuum it is good for any type of surface floor. Excellent vacuum.

o

Thanks anyway. We already sold it and bought a Miele S5 canister. Also an excllent machine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here